• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, Conservation Experts, Share Your Thoughts on Dip Residue-UPDATED W/ RESULTS

18 posts in this topic

Here's the reverse of a rare obverse die variety. From what I can tell, somebody dipped but didn't rinse, and the residue is sitting on the surfaces. What would you do? Leave it alone or have it fixed; and, if you wanted to address the problem, what method would you use?

67RAYSR.jpg

Sure. It's very easy to remove. A quick dip should remove it.

Dip has a bad habit of clinging to Copper-Nickel. I rinse those type coins at least twice as long as silver.

Well, I guess this is why we should leave conservation to the experts. The coin obviously had some underlying problems that I didn't see, and removing the dip residue revealed them plain as day. What should I do now? confused-smiley-013.gif

67RYSRA1.jpg

Well, I guess this is why we should leave conservation to the experts. The coin obviously had some underlying problems that I didn't see, and removing the dip residue revealed them plain as day. What should I do now? confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif1806051-4_1_219.gif1806051-10_1_123.gif

1806051-4_1_72.gif

1806051-4_1_72.gif.1f9b1a9a8c448c2d0bd93e262cdf16c0.gif

Are you sure we don't have two different coins going on here. When you look past the obvious difference in outward appearance a lot of the structural detail (terminology?) is not consistent between the two. IGWT, are they indeed the same or is this just a test so to speak.

Thanks,

Rey

I don't believe those are the same coin. Too much detail is present in the first image that is missing in the second. Methinks someone is trying to pull some legs.

67RYSRA1.jpg

I don't think you are serious. I can't find any markers on the damaged coin that indicate that it was the "before" piece. At least a piece of the die break at the bottom should have survived! yeahok.gif

Lou must have been free from normal work today. So, he thought we all needed a little joviality.

When you get a premier member of our boards to question the two coins, it means we are not used to this humorus side of you Lou. Surely you must have gotten one of those varieties that you needed today?

Seriously, dip residue is the horrible result of folks messing with coins that they do not care about. For, if they did, they would either leave them alone---or have enough knowledge and take the time to do the job right. Bob [supertooth]

You're right, Bob. I posted the second coin to get some yuks -- or maybe some yucks wink.gif -- and I really wasn't trying to fool anyone (not that anyone was really fooled). I thought everyone would realize immediately that it's a different coin when they scrolled down to the picture.

Yes, dip residue is a problem created by someone who didn't care properly for the coin. But, at this point, the problem exists; and the question is what to do about it, if anything.

I shy away from nickels that have that problem. If I did end up with such a coin, I would want it properly conserved, which likely means NCS.

You know it's really bad if James would stay away from it. insane.gif

I shy away from nickels that have that problem. If I did end up with such a coin, I would want it properly conserved, which likely means NCS.

You know it's really bad if James would stay away from it. insane.gif

Send it to him with some Doritos and he ALLLLL over it thumbsup2.gif