• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TNA Show report....

42 posts in this topic

First off I am back to posting somewhat...

So I take about a 45 min drive to get to the show. Just as I get to the show Bobby(Bosshog40) gives me a call and we hook up share a few coins then move on. I am hunting down a 1935 D MS Anything Washington for my set with no luck at all. I am pouring over dealers cases with no luck at all. Seeing all sorts of neat coins, but nothing that just says buy me. I am slowly making my way down the Isles looking with no luck. I had gone with no agenda, just maybe to pick up something that was interesting. Anyhow I get a call from Construct (David) we meet up and talk a bit about coins. Bobby meets up and take the photo you see on the Tangents Board of me and David. I keep on moving down the rows and no luck yet or nothing that just grabs at me. During this time I have been trying to move the 1 coin that I brought to sell, with no luck. A 1943 S NGC MS 66 Quarter. I finally found a man who had both a 1932 S and a 1935 D. He wanted too much in my mind for them so I passed. Walked more still with no luck. I had bought nothing all day long. Walking around some more I see bobby and we talk some more. He says he is about to purchase some nickels for his registry set. I stop when I see some albums that have prices in them. Bobby said he had looked once but passed since he thought they were blank. There were coins in them. I helped him pick out the best of the 2 lincoln albums. He got a nice one for the price considering what was in there. I was just about to walk off again ermpty handed from there when I see some loose pages. I took a look at them and they said "Buy Me" They had clad quarters in them. I did not study them too hard. I just ask the man how much he would take. He gave me a price and he had himself a sale. My first purchase of the day.Which came a bit late in the day. After lunch. Bobby went on his way to buy those nickels he wanted and I kept on the look for quarters. No luck still, but I kept looking. So I finally come across a nice 1932 S NGC AU 58. The price was nice and I may give the guy a call this week. I did not come prepared to make a purchase on a 1932 S. Anyhow I bit later I nearly bought a killer toned morgan. The price was nice and it was a better date. (1890) It was raw and was about MS 63. Right after that I bought a nice 1952 D and 1958 Washington Quarters. The 1952 D is MS 66 or so and so is the 1958. Nearing the end I made a last stop and talked with Anaconda Rare Coins. Brandon is a nice fellow along with Adrian. I talked with them about consigning a coin with them. I may do so later this week. They made me a killer offer that will be hard to refuse. I left soon after that. At the door I had one last chat with David (Construct) then headed home. Was a good day all in all, the show seemed a bit slow later in the day, but overall good. There was many nice coins to look at. If you want to know what was there in a particular collecting area ask away and I will post it. Here are a few images from my purchases. I will just say for the price I got this at I stole it. I am shocked it was there.

86p.jpg

86s.jpg

Yes the whole album looks like this. Many of them have that Classic Dansco Toning. The 1983 P is a killer coin. I will photo it and post it in a bit. Score one for me! Even though I do not collect clads, I knew I had to have this. This set is complete with all the coins from 1965 to 1998. Including all the proofs(Yes the silver proofs as well. Anyhow enough rambling.. Your thoughts??

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for your take on the show. Sounds like your Quarter Stalking paid off, a little different than you had planned but what the hey. Those two clads look nice with the toning, very interesting and a first for me to see. Be sure to give us a glimpse of other interesting ones from the set.

Still haven't heard back on my latest lot at NGC, probably tomorrow on Monday. Will let you know.

Rey

Rey from the set there is 19 Toned coins like the ones posted. Mainly the proofs, but sweet anyhow. Also there are quite a few more with toning on them, but nothing major, just golden mainly.

Nice post Bruce. It's good to see you back. That was a very nice virtual tour. I don't collect Washington Quarters, but those that you walked away with are killer coins. I see that it pays to be persistent. Did you happen to come across any hard to find Frankie Cameos? thumbsup2.gif

Here is the odd one of the bunch... NT or AT does not matter at the price I got the set for. Makes for a conversation piece.

95s.jpg

Unbelievable colors on these. Wow. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You may have just found another dimension of your favorite coins to look for.

Rey

I always hunt for toned coins at a good deal. The colors on that one are really nice. It is the nicest as far as the colors go if you ask me.

Nice post Bruce. It's good to see you back. That was a very nice virtual tour. I don't collect Washington Quarters, but those that you walked away with are killer coins. I see that it pays to be persistent. Did you happen to come across any hard to find Frankie Cameos? thumbsup2.gif

As for Frankie Cameo's There were quite a few, even a 1950 66 Cam. They wanted good money for them all. I saw neealy every year in either DCam or Cam. As for the prices I do not remember.

As for Frankie Cameo's There were quite a few, even a 1950 66 Cam. They wanted good money for them all. I saw neealy every year in either DCam or Cam. As for the prices I do not remember.

I can just imagine what kind of good money they wanted for that 1950.

More than I had on me wink.gif It was a rather nice looking coin! NGC holdered coin. I also saw soo many early proof sets. One guy had stacks of them from 1936 till 1954.

That looks like it has the potential to be a beautiful clad set of Washington quarters. As for the 1935-D, it is the easiest by far of the "big five" WQs in MS and you should be able to pick a nice one from a decent selection.

Tom you are correct, which is why I was a bit shocked at soo little to choose from. I think I only saw 1 36 D or 2. I forget now. There was a few 32 D's and S's. I might make a call this week for a 1932 S in AU 58. Nice looking coin. As for the clad, it is a really nice set and some nicely toned coins. The 1983 P looks every bit of MS 66 if not better. I will post photos of it later. Many of these coins look to be high grade. smile.gif Sweet set if you ask me.

I was excited that I got to meet Bruce and Bobby. It was a highpoint of the show.

Heritage is always there with their coins that didn't do as well at the TPGs as they had hoped. Call me a sucker. I bought a couple of quarter eagles (1853 NGC AU58 and 1907 PCGS AU58) and a gold dollar (1856 NGC AU58). The gold dollar is an upgrade for my type set, and I'm sort of a sucker for AU58 quarter eagles. There's a price jump at 60, and I hardly ever see them in 60 or 61 anyway. (My type set coin is a 1900 in NGC MS62. The 1900 is a little better date than the other late-date libs.)

I also picked up a 1906 half cent (large 6 with stems) in VF20 from Mike Grant and an 1856-O quarter in VF35 from J & J Teaparty. The quarter is a very attractive coin with grey irridescent toning.

I wish I could show them to you, but I have not learned to take pictures.

Sounds like some nice pick-ups on gold and the other types Construct.

Look forward to being able to see some of you pics when you are able to produce and post.

Rey

Bruce, even though it does not fit directly into your silver WQ collection it is a really nice extension to it!

I was thinking about putting a 32-64 set over the next year or so. Nothing shiny, just crusty.

Love the colors, man!

Those are just some crappy quick shots. I will get some better ones soon. Good luck on the set if you decide to put it together!

Thanks, Bruce, for the great post. I know what you mean trying to find nice early wq's, especially the Denver's. I am working on my MS set of wq's to find the 35-39 denver quarters in MS is tough- quite a few dealers say they are MS but actually not, or the price is through the roof. Those are some beautiful modern's, I have only seen a few toned moderns and you get a complete set toned--unreal. I have all of them from 1965-2007 and no toned at all. You are a lucky, lucky man. That is why going to the shows is so important. Great buy and welcome back.

Glad to see ya back Bruce. BTW, those Dansco albums are kind of old and I can tell by looking at some of the toning on a few lincolns I have that those washingtons have to be NT. David (Construct), sorry I never caught your name there, and it was nice meeting you. Nice pickup on those washingtons Bruce, I seen some of those while you were looking but didn't catch all. That 98 sure looks nice. Can't wait til you pic some more of those! thumbsup2.gif

Bobby the first 2 are without a doubt NT. The only toned coin in the whole lot I bought that may be AT is the 1995 S. The rest are fully NT from Dansco Album toning.

What is a fair price for a clad set including the proofs from 1965 to 1998?? Not that it matters now as I bought it already, but just looking for some opinions. Untoned prices work as well.

That is nice to know. I stole the set then. I am ashamed at the price I got it for. Bobby was there and he may know the price. Wanna take a guess at what I got it for?

Nice show report, funny thing is, I think I may have actually seen you, I was looking at one dealers stuff and there was a young man talking to the dealer looking for a 1935-d quarter,( I have a feeling it was you) He mentioned he had only seen one all show and it was overpriced around $60 maybe. Just thought it was funny that I may have been standing next to another member and not even realized it.

That was me. I am fairly certain it was. Sorry to have missed you... edited to add.. look in the tangent forum for a pic of me. Edited to add... the coin would not have been 60 bux or I would have picked it up. smile.gif