• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts/Opinions On this Morgan

26 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying; I'm not a collector of Morgan S $1's. This one is only the second one I've ever purchased. My thought process for this purchase was to crack it out for my 7070. Once the coin is "in-hand" I may feel differently. It's the sellers photo and it's in an NGC 64 DPL "Fatty" holder. What's your thoughts on the coin in a 7070, keep in holder, or even trying to cross at PCGS? Thanks in advance!! thumbsup2.gif

1881SmorganobvA.jpg

Your choice Lee. If you purchased it for your 7070 then by all means crack it out and use it accordingly. The coin is not a great valuable Morgan even should the toning add value above redbook which they usually do, so to cross to PCGS would be a risk at a great expense with no expense recuperation that I see. Still you will have a common date MS64 DPL at best and be no better off than at present. Good luck on your choice.

I think the colors will look less saturated in-hand and the blues and violets will be less pronounced and somewhat more auburn. The surfaces definitely look at least PL and this will show up marks very easy. Therefore, if you crack it out you may see every tiny imperfection and bit of flaked off cardboard once it is in the 7070.

I wouldn't crack it - You may not get it back in a DMPL holder in the future - DMPL standards have changed over the past several years, and if it only gets back in a PL holder you'll have lost 50-75% of its value. I see no upside if you crack it - only risk - there are many PLs out there that are raw and look very nice - especially a common date like 1881-S

I wouldn't crack it - You may not get it back in a DMPL holder in the future - DMPL standards have changed over the past several years, and if it only gets back in a PL holder you'll have lost 50-75% of its value. I see no upside if you crack it - only risk - there are many PLs out there that are raw and look very nice - especially a common date like 1881-S

I agree Tom, risky crackout, but i think that coin could possibly get a Star designation now. Definitely PQ thumbsup2.gif

That's a "plum" of a coin there lee...I would bet once in hand your opinion about a 7070 candidate changes and it stays put with the designation intact.

the coin is not dmpl weather you leave it in or out of the holder it is still not dmpl

but if you want to sell it to some OTHER sucker for dmpl money you need the holder so DO NOT BREAK IT OUT

some OTHER sucker

Kind of harsh michael, but appreciate your opinion.

the coin is not dmpl weather you leave it in or out of the holder it is still not dmpl

but if you want to sell it to some OTHER sucker for dmpl money you need the holder so DO NOT BREAK IT OUT

893naughty-thumb.gif1805417-23_34_2.gif

1805417-23_34_2.gif.3c087b57bacdd1c540a7c034af8bc7e4.gif

Let me start by saying; I'm not a collector of Morgan S $1's. This one is only the second one I've ever purchased. My thought process for this purchase was to crack it out for my 7070. Once the coin is "in-hand" I may feel differently. It's the sellers photo and it's in an NGC 64 DPL "Fatty" holder. What's your thoughts on the coin in a 7070, keep in holder, or even trying to cross at PCGS?

Looks like you have very nicely toned 81-S DPL for your 7070. I would not try to cross it over into a PCGS holder, since that would be a waste of money and time.

Finding DPL Morgans with good looking color like you have here are always a big bonus in my book. I wouldn't mind being the happy sucker to have this toned DPL Morgan in my collection headbang.gif

I like your pics better too. This one is a real poser... I've only cracked out two coins for my 7070 so far but the Morgan dollar spot was a raw 1884 (MS64-ish). The crackouts were: 1858 FE: ANACS XF40; and 1856 LC: PCI graded XF45 but I saw this as a VF35 and paid accordingly. So not alot of dough involved here...Leo

Hey! Your images look just like I predicted the coin to look in-hand! Cool! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Tom your numismatic experience is showing through!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I appreciate everyones thoughts and comments on this one! thumbsup2.gif I decided to let her breathe again so I set her free.

DSCN3436A.jpg

Nice coin, Lee, but for one of the most common dates of the Morgan Dollarss, this one just doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

If you like it, that's all that matters, and I think it looks great in the Dansco. thumbsup2.gif

All IMHO. Thanks for sharing...Mike

That is a beautiful coin Lee...And it will always be what it is...An exceptional coin with Excellent eye appeal...

thumbsup2.gifCongrats

What a post.... Rude and without a bit of educational content...

Typical and sad..

Edited to add; Maybe you should stick to the cut and paste.

Your images are dramatically better than the seller's! In fact, my first reaction from the opening images was: STAY FAR AWAY! But now that we see the coin in your images, I like it much better.

I don't think there's a better choice in Morgans for a 7070 album. In fact, the 1881-S Morgan dollar is, in my opinion, the #2 penultimate type coin (the 1938-D Buffalo nickel is #1 for me).

MikeInFL

Michael,

Didn't you get the memo? You're only allowed to cut&paste, voice your opinion only if it is Happy Talk, and not post anything educational?

Seriously, nice post & thanks for sharing...Mike

Truthfully if you are going to post a reply don't you think you should post it in the correct thread??

Your lack of testicular fortitude is showing,,,Again thumbsup2.gif