• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which image style do you like better?

18 posts in this topic

I've been experimenting with image composition lately and was wondering which people prefer.

(a) Traditional coin images on background

GMM_1998_Prototype_Lady-Liberty_600x300.jpg

(b) With additional information added

GMM_1998_Prototype_Lady-Liberty_600x380.jpg

I like A better personally. But that's just me. I don't need the extra fulff around the top. I can see how some would prefer the extra info though.

A is fine but adding some information pertaining to coin or type specific data is good too in my opinion. Date, type, pop info, mintage perhaps,etc. Plus it all depends on the purpose and intended use of the image.

Rey

Image A is cleaner, though the background is a bit noisy for my tastes and, as such, far superior. Image B looks like something you would find in a pack of trading cards.

Thanks for the replies everyone smile.gif

My primary goal for image B is to keep some relevant information with the image. For somethings in my collection, there's not much additional information I can add (or it is commonly known) so it doesn't make sense to have that area but information on other things may not be well known, either because books have gone out of print or because they aren't in any books at all. Sometimes information may just be on a single website and can be lost if that website goes under. Information on other things I have I only know through email communication with the creators or someone close to them.

There is the option to keep notes in a webpage or Word document along with the image but storing it with the image seems a lot easier and less prone to separation. It also lets me avoid creating a webpage or Word doc to hold that info. Sometimes when a book is available, there's also the situation where not everyone will have it (often times that person is me) or even if I have it, I may not always have access to it. I prefer to have everything available to me electronically.

As for the images in the corners I haven't thought about what to do with them yet. I can see how they can be distracting for some people but part of me also finds them fun to have around. I haven't thought about this much yet and they might end up being just black or white. Of course, this is only an issue if the top part remains at all.

The Zoins wallpaper is my latest background attempt. At first I used the coin/medal as a background but stopped that due to laziness and inconsistency. I also tried a black background but I like how the coin looks like it's sitting on top of a white background with the shadow around the edge. I currently like it the way it is but we'll see, I might change my mind again.

My preference is for the coin on a solid color background, as I feel that the text in the background calls attention away from the coin. I don't like the shadow, as I would be concerned that the editing around the perimeter of the coin could hide or distract the eye from imperfections in the edge. I know it seems simple, maybe too simple for your tastes, but I like the plain old coin against a black (or white or royal blue) background. I think that's the most elegant presentation you can achieve.

For example:

1803963-simple.jpg

1803963-simple.jpg.9a0596cac78b2d6f0c7ee8cac6487cfd.jpg

Thanks for the examples Michael. One reason why I like the shadow effect on white is that I get the visual illusion that the coin is raw and I can reach down and "pick it up." When there is no shadow and the coin is surrounded by white, I get the feeling it is embedded in a NGC slab. When the coin is surrounded by blue with no shadow, I get the feeling it is embedded in a Capital Plastics holder. Black is slightly different because you can't see a shadow on black so it's not necessarily embedded but also not standing out. Just my thoughts on those backgrounds.

As for hiding edge details, I think a solid black background would hide more details than a shadow on white. That was actually one of the "benefits" I thought of when using solid black backgrounds wink.gif

Here's one with a black background. I've had this coin for a while but didn't really know much about it. Researching the information to put at the top of the image helped me learn a something about coins and commerce in China when the US Trade Dollar and Mexican Peso were circulating over there. According to one webpage, China came out with these coins because their coins were pure silver and merchants were losing out trading them for foreign silver coins. I also didn't even know what the Chinese flag looked like back then until just now.

China-Kwangtung_1909-11_S20C_Dragon_600x380_blk.jpg

PS: The lighting is pretty awful in these photos but I haven't gotten around to improving my lighting setup yet.

I can understand your feelings about the different presentation options - do what you enjoy! It's your hobby, after all smile.gif

I like the latest incarnation with the zorro logo (caught you). Perhaps try a little more black border around the image. You might as well try and go for a 2:3 or 3:4 ratio if you ever wanted to print the images on photo paper.

I'm one who can't make up my mind what back ground to use. Sometimes just trying different options helps me to understand my likes or dislikes. JMO 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shure the heck beats getting into a poison ivy patch eh Michael 27_laughing.gif

1921obvrevpan1000x500x3kq7.jpg

When you click on the link below just mouse over the view you want to see.

Either Obverse, reverse, or Info.

No clicking needed.

From a webpage this can be made to open to any size window to make it look better. what ya think?

ZoinsView

yeahok.gif

Pretty neat Ted though there was no clicking needed with the previous version wink.gif No mouse movement needed either.

I still like seeing everything at once and without a custom built website, I'd prefer everything in one file. Something like that might be worth thinking about if I build a database-backed website but perhaps along the lines of having a Heritage-like zoom feature.