• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbee collector!!!

23 posts in this topic

Those multi-holders are awesome...we've had a few members of the forum get them that way...very nice indeed.

1 vote for multi

Go for it and welcome to the fiasco, what ever you do, do it for you, have fun!

hi.gif

Welcome.

I seem to only like the multi when the entire set is graded the same. So I vote for single. Then buy what u need to have a same grade set and then send back in.

Welcome to the forum. hi.gif Coincurious has a good point here. I like the multi-holders also but would be better in one of these if all grades were the same. If you have more than one each of the sets, you can have them individually graded and then match the grades and re-submit to re-holder in the multi.

Yeah, I left out that fact, they all need to be graded the same. Thanks guys for pointing that out!! foreheadslap.gif

Well I kinda agree smile.gif

I would not mind a mix of 69 and 70's especially with the sets he is talking about.

When you move in the older proof sets its a little tougher.

Multi thumbsup2.gif

I guess I’ll be the spoil sport here and pose this question:

Does it make any economic sense have a set like the 2003-S silver Proofs in a slab when the whole set has a Gray Sheet bid of $20? I know there are people who will pay good money for a PR-70, but I’ve purchased PR-69 ultra cameo Proof coins in both PCGS and NGC holders for my registry type for $15 a throw?

As collector we are certainly free to make uneconomic choices. I’ve probably made some in the last few months with my recent big coin purchases. Still I think those coins have a future. I’ve got my doubts about common modern coins that mintages in the millions and survival rates of close to 100%. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well most people that are serious about collecting these type proof sets also know that alot of problems have been arising out of them. Some weird kind of rinsing marks, hazing, etc.. Even tho' some of the sets are not valued very high, I think the grade would be a benefit to them in the long run after the SQ's have stopped production. JMHO

Hi & welcome, Navycoincollector. hi.gif I think that the Mint's holders are just fine for those coins; but, if I were to have those sets graded (which, just to be clear, I wouldn't), I'd chose multi-holder or single holder based on how I think of or organize my collection. That is, if I think of my collection in terms of denominations, I'd use the single holder; and, if I think of my collection in terms of dates, I'd use the multi-holder.

First off, welcome to the forum.

I think you as the owner of the sets need only to decide if you are saving them for posterity, for display, or for monetary gain-then decide. IMO, if you are saving them for posterity-leave them alone. For display-multi. For monetary gain-leave them alone or individually slabbed as the expense will not be recovered. Again all your choice. Also, if you decide to the multi holder I agree with the grade being the same, just for looks.

I have my 1942 and 1950 Proof Sets in those multi-holders and they great in them. I couldn't imagine them anywhere else. On the topic of getting those recent sets graded...I wouldn't do it...at all. I doubt that it would be worth the grading fees.

I have my 1942 and 1950 Proof Sets in those multi-holders and they great in them. I couldn't imagine them anywhere else. On the topic of getting those recent sets graded...I wouldn't do it...at all. I doubt that it would be worth the grading fees.

worthless.gif

thumbsup2.gif

1715242-full.jpg

worthless.gif

thumbsup2.gif

1715242-full.jpg

laughingviking.gif

Welcome! I had a 1957 proof set that I thought would go 68 or higher, so I decided to put them in single holders. I was surprised when they all came back 67's. I mean come on! Sometimes I dont think they even look at the coins. Anyway back on track. I sold them as a set and they brought about bid price for an ungraded set. So my advice to you is "keep your money!" sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif