• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adams coins

9 posts in this topic

Well, I opend my first few rolls of Philadelphia brand John Adams dollar coins. And I have to say the wrappers were in the best shape I ever saw, blast white. So white and unscratched I saved them.

Unfortunately that was all that was worth saving.

The mints new "spin cycle" really does a number on these coins. I quickly realized with the Washingtons I wasn't going to get a shiny set of 68's, and I should be happy with the 66s I did manage to find.

I'm still hopeful the next batch I look at will be better, but is it just me or are the Denvers markedly better than Philly's?

I'm also getting the sinking feeling that I'll be cherishing a PF69 or two, instead of giving a set away at christmas.

Are you folks seeing this same thing, or is it just me. I think someone else has already commented on the dings, nicks, marks etc of these coins. I was just wondering if this will apply to the proofs and satins. I would think so.

Well, I opend my first few rolls of Philadelphia brand John Adams dollar coins. And I have to say the wrappers were in the best shape I ever saw, blast white. So white and unscratched I saved them.

Unfortunately that was all that was worth saving.

The mints new "spin cycle" really does a number on these coins. I quickly realized with the Washingtons I wasn't going to get a shiny set of 68's, and I should be happy with the 66s I did manage to find.

I'm still hopeful the next batch I look at will be better, but is it just me or are the Denvers markedly better than Philly's?

I'm also getting the sinking feeling that I'll be cherishing a PF69 or two, instead of giving a set away at christmas.

Are you folks seeing this same thing, or is it just me. I think someone else has already commented on the dings, nicks, marks etc of these coins. I was just wondering if this will apply to the proofs and satins. I would think so.

i think it's just luck getting a nice condition coin. i don't think denver or philly makes them any differently. the coins are still subject to handling and the care paid to distribution. it's really the luck of the draw imho.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have had rolls of Denver Washingtons, and they all seemed pretty nice, just picked up a roll of Denver Adams, and they are not nearly as nice as the Washingtons were.

I got a roll of P-mints at another bank today, and they looked a lot better than the D-mints I am sorry to say!

The "better" President Dollars are coming----US Mint Uncirculated Sets

Those sets are also SMS. Some people want the cream of the crop for business strike coins. SMS coins are made to the highest quality. Finding a PQ business strike coin can be very tough.