• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 original proofs set photos needed for article…

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for good photos of a 1936 proof set in original packaging, an 1858 proof set (or an attractive single coin), and a 1916 minor coin set (cent and nickel). The photos will be published with an article and the photographer will receive a credit line accompanying their image(es).

Anyone who is interested, please PM me.

I saw a 1936 Proof set in cellophane at Central States, and it had me salivating. If I had $10,000, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. (Actually, it was priced less than that, but I don't recall the exact amount.)

I have a box in which a 1942 Proof set was mailed from the mint and a set of 5 1952 Proof sets with the outside wrapper.

That's as close as I can get. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think you can get a pic in original packaging on these. If I'm not mistaken, these came out as individually wrapped coins. I'm sure that if any sets still exist that they have been moved to a more environmentally safe holder.

I don't think you can get a pic in original packaging on these. If I'm not mistaken, these came out as individually wrapped coins. I'm sure that if any sets still exist that they have been moved to a more environmentally safe holder.

This is true, and the coins I saw were indeed individually wrapped in cellophane. However, the cellos were stapled together. I do not know if they were stapled together at the mint, or subsequently, but I can say that the coins were absolutely pristine. The staple was corroded, indicating that it has been there a long time.

Right. Individually wrapped in little cellophane envelopes (originally clear but now yellowed) that were stapled together. All were stuffed in a small pasteboard box about 2x2x3/4" in size. Usually tan colored box but sometimes a dull blue-gray.

Right. Individually wrapped in little cellophane envelopes (originally clear but now yellowed) that were stapled together. All were stuffed in a small pasteboard box about 2x2x3/4" in size. Usually tan colored box but sometimes a dull blue-gray.

Yup, that was it! So, I guess they are still out there.