• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is THE lowest-mintage regular U.S. issue of the 20th century?

30 posts in this topic

How about the 1908-S Saint? 22,000 minted.

Good point. Let me expand my question - what's the lowest mintage in each of the various metals? I agree that the 1916 SLQ is the lowest-mintage silver coin - or was that 1998-S matte-proof Kennedy lower in mintage confused-smiley-013.gif?

What was the lowest-mintage cupro-nickel coin?

I guess your definition of "regular issue" differs from mine if you are including the matte proof Kennedy. I was only considering coins that were struck for circulation. Heck, if you include proofs, there are dozens of gold proofs from the first decade of the 20th century with mintages under 100 pieces!

How about the 1908-S Saint? 22,000 minted.

Good point. Let me expand my question - what's the lowest mintage in each of the various metals? I agree that the 1916 SLQ is the lowest-mintage silver coin - or was that matte-proof Kennedy lower in mintage confused-smiley-013.gif?

What was the lowest-mintage cupro-nickel coin?

The 1913-S barber quarter is feeling rather slighted...

That's just another Barber, though. blush.gif

Edit to add: The sad thing is that I used to collect the series...I simply forgot about it.

The Gobrecht Dollar with 1600 the first year. Nearly all were released to circulation.

20th century.

What about the 1913 Liberty nickel or the 1964 Peace Dollar? devil.gif

what's the lowest mintage in each of the various metals? What was the lowest-mintage cupro-nickel coin?

For circulation strikes I'm thinking it's the 1909-S Indian Head Cent... 309,000

I guess your definition of "regular issue" differs from mine if you are including the matte proof Kennedy. I was only considering coins that were struck for circulation. Heck, if you include proofs, there are dozens of gold proofs from the first decade of the 20th century with mintages under 100 pieces!
I also consider "regular issue" to mean business strikes for circulation.

For Copper-plated Zinc, the 1991-D cent is at 4,158,442,076.

The Gobrecht Dollar with 1600 the first year. Nearly all were released to circulation.

20th century.

It also said "regular issue"

What about this one?

1800528-2005-30111_428px.jpg1800528-2005-30112_428px.jpg

No. The mintage was 445,500 on the 33 Saint, most were melted though. If we are only counting extant population then most of the branch mint Saints of the 1920s and anything after 1928 would be below 1,000 in extant population. The lowest mintage during that period was the 1930-S at 74,000 all the rest were above 100,000. It just illustrates that for Saints after 1920 mintage figures are completely irrelevant.

As for the 1964 Peace dollar, I thought the minted like 360,000 of them.

What about this one?

1800528-2005-30111_428px.jpg1800528-2005-30112_428px.jpg

The question is about mintage, not survivors wink.gif 445,500 of those were minted, that's several times more than some earlier issues.

Oh ok how about the 1966 proof jefferson nickle? shy.gif

Doesn't exist. Both nickels presented to Schlag have been located and there's an upcoming publication on the matter.

The 1964 SMS pieces would qualify as the lowest mintage of all the minor coinage. These do not fit your initial query, but fit your expanded version. wink.gif

Hoot

20th century.

It also said "regular issue"

I was just trying to stir up trouble. wink.gif

Here Is a couple more;

Dollar 1922 Hi Relief dollar Mintage 35,401

Nickel 1997 P special Unc. (Matt finish) 5¢ 25,000 mintage

If you're going to list special mint sets or the such as regular issue, don't forget the 1964 SMS's. These were minted at about or less than a couple of dozen for each (that should cover your copper; nickel, and silver).

1907 Indian Eagle with periods--542. Five hundred with with wire rims. Forty-two were with rounded rims. None were placed into circulation; so you may not want to count it. Most of them survive and are in mint state.

The answer to this and most questions, numismatic or otherwise, can be found on GOOGLE----this is the 21st century.

Are you suggesting that NGC close the boards because all of our coin questions can be found through Google? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, carson city, how would you categorize the 1907 With Periods Indian Eagle. Would you say it's a regular issue since it was a circulation strike intended for circulation, or would you say it's not a regular issue since none of them made it to circulation.

I believe the answer to the original question turns on that categorization. If the answer isn't the eagle then it's the 1908-S double eagle.