• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A trade dollar arrived for the type set

17 posts in this topic

I saw this coin on the BST ATS and really liked the look so I made an offer on it. I probably paid way too much for it but it looked be really crusty. It arrived today and it is even better then it looked in the pics. So what do you think? Feel free to guess the grade. It is graded by ANACS. All of the hairlines are on the slab and not the coin. smile.gif

1874tradeobvoq7.jpg

1874tradereveh3.jpg

Wahay a real one, thanks for the picture

i know i am a bad grader but i will say F-12 because i cannot see all the letters on Liberty

that's a really neat Trade Dollar. A Trade Dollar that was actually used in trade. I love it. The toning is very nice. I'd go with EF40. Whatever it graded, it's a really neat addition to anyones collection.

I’m sorry to be the party pooper here, but I really don’t like the color and glossiness in combination. I’d give it an AU for sharpness, but think that that the color is not natural.

But I’m grading it from a photo. confused-smiley-013.gif

No need to be sorry, Bill. I asked for opinions so I will take them however they come. I think the glossiness that you are seeing is probably coming from how I had the lights positioned. In hand the coin does not have the glossy look. smile.gif

I saw the thread for this coin when it went up and I can tell you that the reason I passed on the coin is because I do not believe it to be original at all and I really don't know that there is "crust" on it. The images I had previously seen are consistent with this set in that I think the coin has been stripped and retoned. By the way, the asking price was not too much for a problem-free coin.

I know ANACS grades a ton of Trade Dollars. Just look at Ebay and see all the ANACS "Problems" Trade Dollars for sale. If ANACS can't spot a re-toned Trade Dollar after all these years, HELP!!!

That is what I thought, Carl. ANACS graded it as a VF-35. There is no notation of it being cleaned or retoned. Whatever the case is I still love the look of the coin and will be cracking it out for the album. smile.gif

well after the fact this is an extremely rare date sleeper underrated grossly underrated trade dollar pcgs only has one 1874 graded in xf 45....... you see hundreds and hundreds of cc trade dollars for every one 1874-p you see

a totally underrated date

and also one of the most common of all trade dollars with chop marks as again they where used in the orient

in fact almost the entire mintage of 1874 philly mint trades were minted before may 1874 and almost all of the 1874-p trade dollars where shipped to the orient to be used in trade and well over 75% of the entire mintage was melted over in the orient by profiteers as when the trade dollar got there it was worth over 1 dollar in silver and there is on record that in 1874 233,000 1874 trade dollars were melted in india at the culcutta mint and then recoined into indian issues!!!!!!!! and this is just the tip of the iceberg

onto this coin....................

but it is an ugly rat pig in my opinion as this coin is glossy from being cleaned/damaged and this was to hide something extremely undesireable underneath the toning

heavily bleach toned it is ugly and totally non original

it is at best a choice vf with a totally un-natural glossy heavy screwed up bleach toned surfaces due to someone hiding something again really undesireable surface wise underneath this bleach toning

i have seen this many times on same grade mucho rarer date seated and trade dollars graded by pcgs and ngc and most often graded by anx

it was a cheap coin and is a good learning experience but you got to be careful buying from creeps who lie about coins

so please do not kill the messenger

now DO YOU WANT TO SEE A TRULY AMAZING 1874 TRADE DOLLAR THAT IS 100% TOTALLY ORIGINAL TRULY A GEM CIRC COIN WITH SUPERLATIVE 100% DOVE GREY SURFACES AND ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS

truly one of a kind and excessively rare and to have the 1874 date is simple out of this world

any trade dollar looking like this in xf even a common date would be rare in this totally hairline free original crusty dove gem circ grade

save and compair this coin to all others as this is waht a totally original hairline problem free gem circ trade dollar should look like all we got is the photo so this is as close as i can get to an example

well my friend please again do not kill the messenger and next time you wants to buy any coins from any unknown sellers/peddlers/hucksters pm mee and i will advise you if i can make sure you have a decent scan or if not get the coin with a 100% return priviledge and shoot me a photo in pm and i will advise you for free ...................

how does this sound to you my coin friend

also for me in my limited experiences in the coin game a truly original like this coin in choice xf would to me easily be worth at least 725 dollars so IF YOUR your coin was under 500 dollars then this tells me all AS there is no santa claus in numismatics...............

Actually, I like this coin regardless of any potential cleanings and subsequent re-toning. It looks at least AU to me from the details, but it doesn't have that pasty white look that so many dipped coins have - especially Trade dollars, which I believe suffer disproportionately from dipping.

Although pasty white is undesirable for a silver coin, the color this coin has is no improvement because a coin doctor can easily apply it to a pasty white coin. In fact it is worse because pasty white has some market acceptability while knowledgeable dealers and collectors roundly condemn artificial toning like this. The process that has been done to this coin is irreversible because the molecules on the surface of the piece have been fundamentally changed. It’s possible to clean this stuff off, but what will be left will be even duller and even more pasty white.

New collectors should take note of this, because this coin, while it has AU sharpness is worth a lot less than AU money. In fact its price falls more in the VF category, and many collectors would prefer to have a clean no messed with VF to this piece.