• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling with a fingerprint...

11 posts in this topic

I am well aware of the adage - buy the coin not the holder BUT... I recently purchased a 1995 Double Die Lincoln (NGC MS68RD) on good old EBAY. And yes, I did buy the holder not the coin.

The picture on EBAY was not great but then again, an MS68 RD by NGC seemed like a good deal. The problem with the coin is when I received the coin, there was a large fingerprint on the obverse. Obviously the fingerprint appeared after NGC graded the coin.

When I confronted the buyer, he said that it was my loss and all he did was list the coin as MS68RD and did not feel that he should have indicated a fingerprint. He went on to say that if I disagreed with the NGC grade, that the issue was between me and NGC.

BTW he had a full return policy listed but refused to honor it. I am currently awaiting a decision by PayPal to recoup my money.

THE QUESTION: Forgetting my stupidity of not buy the coin but buying the holder - was the seller dishonest in not indicating a fingerprint in the item description or, giving a good picture of the obverse? What say you all?

I think the problem here is that the seller did not honor his return policy. Makes no difference why you are returning it.

Hopefully Paypal and Co. will see this and side in your favor. After that, NGC might have some buyback policy for these issues? Other will be able to speak to that issue better than I.

As far as the seller’s honesty… if you simply look at the ‘rule book’ he did nothing wrong. However in reality it was an underhanded thing to do.

Good luck!

Hey bloodhound, the same thing happened to me last year. I bought a jefferson proof in an NGC holder and when I got it, it had a fingerprint on it. One difference was the seller was offering to take it back but I sent it back to NGC for an "Appearance and review". I did have to pay for registered mail both ways but they did remove the fingerprint and re-slabbed it at no charge. If you really like the coin, this may be another option for you.

Hey bloodhound, the same thing happened to me last year. I bought a jefferson proof in an NGC holder and when I got it, it had a fingerprint on it. One difference was the seller was offering to take it back but I sent it back to NGC for an "Appearance and review". I did have to pay for registered mail both ways but they did remove the fingerprint and re-slabbed it at no charge. If you really like the coin, this may be another option for you.

that's good to hear...............did the grade change?

halfpint

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If he had a return policy and did not honor it, by all means, post his Ebay handle so we can avoid him. Now, I have seen some that have a return policy, but state no return on slabs. That really makes no sense to me, but whatever.

I hate dishonest people. My E-bay policy has return within 7 days, and I would not even ask why if someone ever did return anything. If it came back to me like it got to them, I will refund all of their money! It is that simple.I would rather have all happy customers than worry about refunding 1 person.

By the way, there was probably a good reason the picture on E-bay was not that great. I call it deceptive practices.

MM thumbsup2.gif

that's good to hear...............did the grade change?

halfpint

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No the grade did not change. Went in 69, came back 69.

I may be wrong but I don't think NGC is going to be able to remove a print on copper.

I'm thinking the seller should have said something about the print. This and the fact he will not take it back speak volumes about the type of dealer he or she is.

Just the way I see it. smile.gif

I may be wrong but I don't think NGC is going to be able to remove a print on copper.

I'm thinking the seller should have said something about the print. This and the fact he will not take it back speak volumes about the type of dealer he or she is.

Just the way I see it. smile.gif

I wasn't snapping to copper. You may be right Larry.

Can you please print the name of the ebay seller so we can all beware and know what we meed to know, I thank you for bringing this out in the open, but if nobody knows who he/she is it doesn't help anybody. Thanks