• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 Somalia Motorcycle Coins

6 posts in this topic

Sure, there are problems in Somalia and that I should be politically more sensitive to the situation there. But I am a collector, a hobbiest, who looks for what I consider neat. Besides, I like motorcycles and want to buy one. But until then, I bought the set of 2007 Somalia Motorcycle One Dollar Non-circulating Legal Tender coins. I wasn't a big fan of the 2006 guitars, but I love motorcycles! I can see getting a cruiser like the blue one in the top left. cloud9.gif

1796650-2007-Somalia-Motorcycles.jpgheadbang.gif

Now these are neat! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

1796650-2007-Somalia-Motorcycles.jpg.0963b2ec6a4a8b3a49bd925165f598e6.jpg

Hey Scott, nice to see some decent pics of these smile.gif

I noticed that these coins are denominated in dollars. Do you know if Somalia uses dollars for their local currency? The Wikipedia Somalia page indicates that they use the Somali shilling and senti. I was just curious if they have since switched to circulating Somali dollars or if the dollar denomination is only for NCLT.

In any event, they look like fun!

Hey scott, I have seen these before and one of these days would like to get a set. I ride a harley and I think they are pretty cool. Where did you get this set if you don't mind me asking? Price? Thanks!

The one dollar denomination is for the NCLT. The guitar coins were also had a one dollar denomination and the government has authorized several five dollar silver NCLT. I believe the Wikipedia story is correct and that the shilling is still the primary currency.

I purchased the coins from Wayne Herndon while in Baltimore. I have also seen them online here. They average about $50 for the set.

I forgot to mention, the coin is silver plated copper-nickel and enameled. I don't know who actually manufactured the coins for the Somali government.

Scott hi.gif

I'd be pretty interested to find out who Somalia is outsourcing the manufacture to and how they are being distributed.

It's also interesting that the coins say "Federal Republic of Somalia" while the official name of the country is the Somali Republic. I wonder if FRS is shorthand for the Transitional Federal Government of the Somali Republic.