• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

California Gold Tokens?

7 posts in this topic

I was looking on ebay last nite and decided to look at some of these tokens. I noticed that there are alot of them on ebay. I got a little info saying that the ones that have pretty good value to them should have "DOL.", "DOLL.", or "DOLLAR" on the Rev of these. A lot of the ones I was seeing did not have this on them. Some had 1/4, 1/2, etc...Some had a Bear emblem on the Rev which also I read, that those with that emblem are replicas. What about these that don't have the proper letters, are they worthless? fake Gold? Not Gold? Would like some info from anyone familiar with these. I'm a Calif. native, but I got to TX as fast as I could 27_laughing.gif (26yrs ago), so just interested in them Thanks!

Bobby,

What ever information you find out, why not post it on here, I would be interested in learning about these.

Rey

bsshog40 and rbrown4---- Going to really show my age here. There is a book called "Small California And Territorial Gold Coins" by R.H. Burnie---copyright 1955

This book was hard to get in 1970---so good luck finding it today. I used to collect such coins----many years ago. There are NO pictures in this book. But it DOES list the GENUINE coins---with certain descriptions.

If one decides to collect these, he must know that the market is full of copies and counterfeits. Not to mention that the good ones are hard to find. It would definitely need to be a collector with 'special' interests. Take care and good luck if you care to try this adventure. Bob [supertooth]

thanks Supertooth. I have just searched around here and there and yes, there are alot of counterfiets/replicas, however a person would like to describe them. The link that larry gave is pretty good and gives alot of pics. Still checking it out tho' as to telling the replicas from the real ones. there are few originals but hundreds of copies. insane.gif

There is a book called "Small California And Territorial Gold Coins" by R.H. Burnie---copyright 1955

The beauty of the Burnie book is that it covers the tokens and charms. It's the only book that does so. A fabulous reference along those lines. He does cover coins too, but that is better left to, perhaps, the Breen-Gillio book. Hence the BG numbers assigned to all the coins.

Mikes' site is quite comprehensive too. Maybe even more complete than Burnies' book was. I've been playing with Cal gold and related tokens for years. It really is a fun numismatic area, and one where I believe there can be a great deal of room for appreciation.

Paul