• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Fun with a Few RPDs

20 posts in this topic

Don't you think that making the same mistake in the same way for three years straight would be enough to get someone fired? insane.gif

CompositeRPDs.jpg

Don't you think that making the same mistake in the same way for three years straight would be enough to get someone fired? insane.gif

CompositeRPDs.jpg

Wow i am so Jealous with them Shields I want them takeit.gif

Pleese take pitt on a poor man from the UK and send them over the sea !!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

All these RPDs are pretty dramatic, with the '67 winning points for the doubling being visible on all digits, and the '69 gaining an edge for being triple punched. There are other examples of RPDs in the series that are even more dramatic (I'll post some another time, and maybe Howard will contribute a few), but I put these three together because the underdigits on each are mispunched in the same direction and with about the same spread. I think it makes an interesting group.

Heck no, in America we re-elect them...

Nice coins/images BTW. thumbsup2.gif

Due to the vast quantity of shield nickel varieties, it is feasible to put together many different sets of related RPDs and DDOs. Here are the 1866 "twins". These are probably the most dramatic RPDs in US numismatics.

FS-001.jpg

FS-001.1.jpg

All of these reflect the liberal rum rations at the mint.

Thanks for adding your pictures, Howard. smile.gif How about some contributions (from any series, not just Shields) by other members?

CompositeRPDs.jpg

absotuvly!

popcorn.gif

1795/1795 Flowing hair half, 3 leaf variety . . . cloud9.gif Did the Mint use double-digit punches during this period?

1814/3 but I don’t have the photo skills to get that close yet - sorry frown.gif

1814.JPG

Here ya go Winstonware wink.gif

1814-3dt.jpg

But this is really an overdate not a Re-Punched Date (RPD)....

Okay, here's another set of shield nickel twins. These are a very special kind of RPD, because the initial punch used was for the wrong coin. Both of these shield nickels were originally punched with logotypes intended for a seated dime.

67WRF08date.jpg

72F102.jpg

It doesn't get much weirder than these! yay.gif

Okay, here's another set of shield nickel twins. These are a very special kind of RPD, because the initial punch used was for the wrong coin. Both of these shield nickels were originally punched with logotypes intended for a seated dime.

cloud9.gif