• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Birthday Coin - Bright 'n' Shiny 2-Cent

14 posts in this topic

For those who've been reading my post over in the coin tangents forum, you already know this. For the rest of all y'all, my birthday is this coming Monday and I wanted to buy myself a nice ~$100 coin. I ended up narrowing it down to an 1867 2-cent, 1867 nickel 3-cent, and an 1866 5-cent. I ended up going with the 2-cent.

As for the grade, I believe that it is very very slightly circulated. In hand, which I tried to capture in the photo, the coin displays quite a bit of luster on the "2 CENTS" side, and about 30% luster on the shield side. I think that on a good day this could definitely grade MS-60, but I'm curious to know what you guys/gals think.

series_002_1867.jpg

I like it very much and I think you did good. That's the sort of 2c I will eventually buy myself, I think. Where did you buy it, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks, guys!

Michael - I bought it at a local coin dealer who was not too happy to part with it. He had it priced at $96 and sold it to me for $90 since I paid cash and as my "birthday discount."

Very nice pickup Stuart! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Lots to like about your new coin, AU58 coins can be really good value when they are as lusterous and well struck as yours. thumbsup2.gif

What a great coin with better eye appeal than most mint-state two cent pieces. thumbsup2.gif Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the NEWP & happy birthday...Mike

Outstanding coin--a lot to like about that one, including that reddish lustre.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes and the comments on the coin. I'm glad that no one saw something I didn't in the pictures in terms of why I might have made a mistake. wink.gif

I feel old, but this coin holds the hope that I can still look good as I continue to age! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I sent off an e-mail to my grandparents with the picture attached so that they can see what I did with their birthday money. I also included a paragraph explaining some of the historical context of the denomination since they know nothing about coins.