• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

good grading service?

19 posts in this topic

My husband recently bought some gold coins and they were marked MS63 by BCGS.

I don't know much about coins and had not heard of those initials.

Is it a grading service that coin collectors will think his coins are good? confused.gif

Without seeing anything except their low grade website, I would say be very weary. I have never heard of them or seen them discussed here before.

More than likely these coins will be over-graded.Sorry to say that, but most of the time this is true with these of-the-wall graders. If you are able to take good pics, this forum can be very helpful in assisting you with your coins and help to determine if the grading was close.

My husband recently bought some gold coins and they were marked MS63 by BCGS.

I don't know much about coins and had not heard of those initials.

Is it a grading service that coin collectors will think his coins are good? confused.gif

This would scare the bejeesus out of me.

I will only buy gold in PCGS,NGC, or ANACS, holders. I doubt the BCGS grading service could even tell if the coins were counterfeits or not let along grade them correctly.

I checked out their grading fees:

"Our Uncomplicated Fee Structure:

U.S. Regular Issue Coins (Including Crossovers) – 1793 to Present

All U.S. Regular silver issue coins

U.S. Coins valued @ $10,000 and up 3 Days $50.00

U.S. Coins valued @ $10,000 and less 3 Days $30.00

Gold

All U.S. Gold Pieces

Pieces valued at $10,000 and up 3 Days $50.00

Pieces valued at $10,000 and less 3 Days $30.00"

eg... first, welcome to our little corner of the numismatic world!

As for "BCGS," I went to their website and found their address. Using an online mapping service, I found that the address is in a residential area. Since I grew up on the South Shore of Long Island, I am very familiar wit hteh area. I would be weary of the accuracy of the graded claim on the slab.

When buying slabbed coins, NGC and PCGS are the top tier third party grading sevcies. Second tier that can be trusted are ANACS, ICG, and PCI. I would worry about others.

Gold coins are still gold coins. As long as they are real, you should be ok. If they are "common" golds, then you may have paid a little more because of the "foreign" slab. Maybe you and your husband should visit a local coin shop and have someone look at the coins. The dealer can also help you get them regraded by a better service.

Good luck!!

Scott hi.gif

On the BCGS Web Page,

Our Pledge to you:

is nothing more than a 9 point disclaimer that takes up the whole page, they are definetly CYA'ing here.

Most likely the coins are gold but the grade has been inflated for a feaux numismatic value vs the bullion value so more $$$ could be had by the seller.

We have some very saavy gold collectors on the boards here that could help, I feel that all is not lost, yet and a warm welcome to you also.

I will only buy gold in PCGS,NGC, or ANACS, holders. I doubt the BCGS grading service could even tell if the coins were counterfeits or not let along grade them correctly.

i agree 100% and welcome to the boards!

hi.gif

Use only one of the four major grading services: PCGS, ICG, NGC, ANACS.

These are the grading services accepted by Teletrade. I do not recommend any of the other TPG's at this time.

As far as BCGS - never heard of them, would never submit to them.

These are the grading services accepted by Teletrade.

Parker, I've seen you mention this a few times in justifying the "big four" grading companies. It has always struck me as a little odd, as Teletrade seems to me to be nothing more than a niche player in numismatics, yet somehow its acceptance of these coins by TT seems to hold more weight in your eyes. Why? Just wondering...Mike

p.s. my apologies to the OP for the tangent.

Is going by what's accepted by TT better than going by what's accepted by eBay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While many people view the Top 4 TPGs as acceptable, I doubt many use TT as the reason. However, TT could accept the Top 4 because of their wide acceptance.