• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got this old coin in change...

13 posts in this topic

I'm sure it's nothing special, but I got a 1938 dime in change when buying a cigar the other day. Where the mint mark usually is looks to be something like a crown instead of a letter. I've received several older coins in change in my life, but I don't think anything quite this old.

I'm guessing it's worth about 11 cents...maybe 12 if it's silver. tongue.gif

Any input?

A silver dime must be worth a buck or so. smile.gif

The mint mark should be a D or an S.

The crown look is beyond me. Nice find and welcome to the board.:)

After thinking about it for a moment. The mint mark is on the reverse of the Mercury dime. The obverse has the designers initials to the right, Adolph A. Weinman. smile.gif

I believe what you are seeing that looks like a crown is the engraver's initials just above the date on the obverse of the coin. The mint mark should be on the reverse in the bottom left hand area of the coin. Here is a picture of a 1938 S. You can see the S just after the E in One. If there is not a recognizable D or S then it is from the Philadelphia Mint - with no mint mark. Depending on the condition of the dime it may be worth a couple of bucks or so. Without taking the toning on this picture into consideration does your coin look to be about the same condition as far as wear goes, better or worse?

Rey

1938SMercuryObv.jpg

1938SMercuryRev.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I don't see a mint mark, so it must be a Philly.

Rey, it's hard to compare to a scan, but I would say this one is in much better condition. It almost looks like the embossed areas have been cleaned, and there is just enough laitence around the embossments to make all them really stand out. If the dark areas were also cleaned it might just be in the same condition or a little better. I have no idea how to grade coins.

Are you able to post a picture of the coin you have? Even send as an Attachment.

Here is my 1938 Philly. This one would probably grade at Fine, F-12. Mainly due to only about half of the wing feathers showing, and the vertical lines on the reverse not being totally clear, distinct and sharp and the diagonal bands being worn in the center. This one would be worth between $1.00 and $1.50 perhaps.

1938MercuryObv.jpg

1938MercuryRev.jpg

Hey Rey, I'll try to post a pic later tonight. My digital camera is horrible though. I'll do my best.

Is it really bad to clean coins? It seems like there would be a very mild solvent that would be perfect for cleaning them. I know Taco Bell hot sauce cleans pennies really well.

The pics aren't bad at all. By what I can see I would say this is also Fine, F-12. The Nusmismedia Price Guide indicates $1.50

As far as cleaning, no, do not do it. There are some cases with certain coins where some folks do remove hazing, etc. but this should only be done by those that are experienced. It is too easy to ruin a coin by cleaning. A person with experience and knowledge will usually be able to tell if a coin has been cleaned.

Toning, coloration, etc. is not necissarily bad. Watch some of the posts on here and you will see some beautiful coins that have lots of tones and colors and are graded very nicely.

Rey