• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japanese type set album

10 posts in this topic

Please forgive me for reposting what I asked ATS.

I was thrilled to recently acquired an old Dansco Japan Type set album, which goes through 1970. After reading something about Dansco toning coins (I've cracked a few to put in the album, though I did buy one of those new-fangled slip covers), I got to thinking about Intercept albums. On a whim I emailed them about making a custom album and this is what they wrote back:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We do have the capability to manufacture custom

albums. If you would like to discuss this further, please provide your

business contact information and we can contact you regarding the

manufacturing process, minimum runs and pricing"

My current album has 5 pages and holds 74 coins...I figure an update would be 6 pages and roughly 90 coins (I'm working on a reasonable list of varieties).

So out of curiosity I am wondering how many people out there would be interested in an updated Japanese type set album--covering 1870 to current, made by Intercept, and at what pricing point it would be feasible. Would anyone other than me find this to be cool?

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I'd be interested in one at any semi resonable price. It wouldn't break my hear if the more expensive types were left out.

How are your slabs going to fit in it? poke2.gif

I wouldn't put anything really high grade in an album, I'd probably try to do the pre war stuff in nice XF.

How are your slabs going to fit in it?

I've set my husband to cracking slabs for me...well some of them anyway. My best ones are staying put grin.gif. Right now there are only two holes in the Dansco that I have slabbed coins for that I won't crack.

I pretty much settled that I won't crack a full red coin, one thats 66 or higher--unless it's really common that way, or one worth so much I break out in a cold sweat thinking about it getting dropped in the cracking process. Unfortunately, I don't have too many in that category.

Turns out this was a pipe dream.. I must say the Intercept people were very nice in answering my question, but unless there are alot more people in Japan interested I'm going to have to settle on my old Dansco.

Sent: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:08 AM

Subject: RE: Web Site Contact Form

Cathy,

The minimum on a custom album would be 5000 pieces. Any fewer in quantity and the upcharges would be too high. There are also artwork and die charges that go along with this depending on how difficult the pages are to design and can run anywhere from 1000$ US to 5000$ with freight charges being extra – about $1500. A six page album in a custom format would cost you about 20$ (ballpark) US plus the additional charges.

We just designed a US Type Album that took about a year to complete due to confirming coin sizes, printing and lead times to produce. The artwork alone took about 2 months to complete due to every coin on every page being different, which it seems would be the case with the Japanese Type as well. The album has still not been released as we are trying to confirm 3 coin sizes that the factory cannot seem to get right.

We have affiliates in Japan for our industrial products and I am going to contact them to see if they have had inquiries about coin albums. If they have, I will let you know. Again, thank you for your interest in our products and we will notify you via email when any new product is available.

Christine Tropiano

Best Regards,

Intercept Shieldâ„¢

Intercept Preservation Products, LLC

info@interceptshield.com

www.InterceptShield.com

The $20 isn't so bad, it's the thousands of albums needed to make it worthwhile!

I have the ancient Dansco (up to 1970), but after reading some posts about toning with their albums I was interested in the Intercept technology for preservation purposes. I did buy one of those Dansco slipcovers for the elderly album so maybe that will be good enough. Even so I don't have the nerve to crack out a full red copper coin or any really nicely preserved coins (those are sitting in Intercept slab boxes).

On the other hand, maybe an updated album with the new Emperor would be cool...hmm..I think I will try them after all--thanks for the idea!

Cathy

BTW have I mentioned how absolutely adorable that boy of yours is? Great pictures!

I have the ancient Dansco (up to 1970), but after reading some posts about toning with their albums I was interested in the Intercept technology for preservation purposes. I did buy one of those Dansco slipcovers for the elderly album so maybe that will be good enough. Even so I don't have the nerve to crack out a full red copper coin or any really nicely preserved coins (those are sitting in Intercept slab boxes).

On the other hand, maybe an updated album with the new Emperor would be cool...hmm..I think I will try them after all--thanks for the idea!

Cathy

There are "album coins" and "slab coins" - as long as you don't mix the two a little Dansco toning really doesn't hurt anything.

BTW have I mentioned how absolutely adorable that boy of yours is? Great pictures!

Thanks!

Baby #2 (another boy) will be along May 22nd the latest.

Thanks!

Baby #2 (another boy) will be along May 22nd the latest.

Congrats! Do you take trade-ins?