• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare lincoln cents just come up for sale on ebay

19 posts in this topic

Hi all just found these from one seller....

# 120118467905

1790620-48118502_o.jpg1790620-48118423_o.jpg

1790620-48118386_o.jpg1790620-48118391_o.jpg

1790620-48118409_o.jpg1790620-48118416_o.jpg

just thaught you cent collectors would be intrested thumbsup2.gif

1790620-48118416_o.jpg.ec6884f69b3c3cb892f985ed14c80d94.jpg

Lets look at the 14-D. The first image is the sellers and the second is the real deal in a PCGS holder. Tell me your thoughts. smile.gif

48118409_o.jpgimage0006.jpg

It would still be a question to me. It looks like the ebay lincoln was taken at an angle and may be the reason the "D" looks closer to the date. Other than that, it looks original "RB" to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

It looks like the ebay lincoln was taken at an angle and may be the reason the "D" looks closer to the date.
Please stay away from raw coins from China wink.gif

Compare the width of the D mintmark to the distance between the mintmark and the number 1. Also compare the closest part of the number 9 to the D mintmark. Do you think the angle of the camera can account for the differences?

I'm still in question, because I may be wrong here, but weren't the mintmarks hand punched? confused-smiley-013.gif This would account for the mintmark not being in the exact spot everytime.

is it just me or is the left lincolns nose swollen? and the mouth looks wrong! am i the only 1 seeing this ?is it in my mind

I have read on this forum before that the mint marks were often varied as they were put on last. Maybe I'm wrong about this but it is as I remember it. Still I most certainly would not buy from china!

IMHO, too many dimples on the '09-SVDB surfaces. Looks counterfeit. I worked supporting a plant in China for several years and I would never buy a coin from a chinese dealer on Ebay. I saw some of the junk that they sell over there!

On the S-VDB in Liberty, the B looks like an S, or are my eyes going bad?

i think u r right it looks like a clear s ! i didnt even notice that good eye there smile.gif

But on some key dates, I don't know about the 14D, there was only one die for the entire mintage. I'm not a Lincoln collector, but if that's the case for the 14D, then mintmark placement would be a diagnostic for determining genuine vs. fake.

JJ

There was more than one die used for the 1914-D Lincolns, so mintmark placement is no way to determine authenticity. The photo is too small to tell much of anything, but I sure don't like the extremely soft look of the D in relation to the legends and the date.

The 'S' on the 'S-VDB' sure looks funky from here, but again, intentional or not, the photos are too small to tell much of anything.

The 1922 does not appear to have the correct diagnostics for any of the three dies used to produce 'No-D's or 'weak-D's. 'Trust' appears softer and less distinct than 'In God We', which is the opposite of what it should be for a true 'No-D.' The reverse appears too well-struck to be a 'weak-D'.

The 1922 is a fake. All of the digits in the date are clear and strong. That is not true of the 22 plain.

The 14-D is a fake. You can't use mintmark placement because there was more than one die and the mintmark placement is not the same on all of the dies. (If you know all of the dies used then you might be able to use placement) But the mintmark is too large and the wrong style. Also the second 1 is too long . On the genuine they are short and the same length, on the piece in question the second 1 is longer than the first one.

The S on the SVDB looks wrong. Too large and rounded. On the genuine it is small compact and blocky. And since the other two are fakes, what is the chance the SVDB would be real?

thumbsup2.gif great information all thumbsup2.gif

You all have to admit that this type of fake is a lot harder than the Trade dollars you usualy see on eBay juggle.gif

Two more have just turned up on uk ebay .. and one has a bid already.. gess there is going to be a flood of them now Christo_pull_hair.gif

now you can see why the last seller took the photos at an angle !!!!!!

1792122-48322531_o.jpg1792122-48322547_o.jpg

1792122-48334733_o.jpg1792122-48334759_o.jpgmakepoint.gif

1792122-48334759_o.jpg.1d0f6736e7523f8bae64c75232c49a83.jpg

thumbsup2.gif great information all thumbsup2.gif

You all have to admit that this type of fake is a lot harder than the Trade dollars you usualy see on eBay juggle.gif

I don't know dooly, they weren't that hard if you know what you're looking at. Look at enough of 'em and you get a feel for what 'looks' right, and what doesn't.

On a related note, I would have no idea what to look for with Trade dollars, except some of the really crude ones. Some are so poor they are obvious even to my inexperienced eye.