• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1818 Capped Bust Quarter

13 posts in this topic

This beauty arrived today. I've never seen a coin with clashes like this one. I sent a PM to a forum member asking for his thoughts on the coin. I'll share them here:

"As a variety, it is common (B-2, R.1). But.....as a die state, it MUST be rare as I have never seen one so late. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing clash marks that heavy on any 1818 quarter. This is really mind-blowing to me. You have what I would go out on a limb and call "terminal die state". The breaks on stars 8-10 are what I would classify as retained cuds. I suspect that the dies clashed very heavily, thus exacerbating the already present cracks in the die. The dies would have been retired shortly thereafter. Actually, just the obverse die as the reverse is used on B-3, but the clash marks were removed by grinding/lapping the dies. I would like to do a die study on this phenomenon, as I think it could be possible that the reverse was used on B-3 first."

DSCN3226A.jpg

DSCN3226.jpg

DSCN3227.jpg

DSCN3215A.jpg

DSCN3215B.jpg

DSCN3215C.jpg

Lee, i'll bet that one had the graders scratching their heads for a while. grin.gif

I can see them now trying to figure out whether it was actual wear to coin or die state during the strike. thumbsup2.gif With that much going on, it certainly is a interesting coin shy.gif Thanks for posting hi.gif

That obverse is great! Terminal DS always offer something special on which to ponder. If there is any luster, PCGS could just as well said XF45. thumbsup2.gif

That is a wild CBH. I love that series of halves and this is as cool an oddity as I have seen in this series. What a die clash! I can see the grade that PCGS gave it and why(could have went a little higher-maybe EF45) but the rarity should be greatly higher. I do not believe that there are many(if any) like it. Great coin.

Congrats!

Appreciate the kind words on this one!! smile.gif The top set of pic's in my first post were taken with a 75W PAR Halogen Lamp and the bottom set with OTT-LITES. I knew it was special when I saw the sellers pic's:

1818bustqtrobv.jpg

1818bustqtrrev.jpg

Here are OTT-LITE Pics:

DSCN3207A.jpg

DSCN3211A.jpg

DSCN3211.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg

This is a really nice example from a series that is terribly neglected.

...yet pretty hard to find like I like 'em. wink.gif