• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar

12 posts in this topic

1795DollarO.jpg1795DollarR.jpg

I recently purchased this 1795 Flowing Hair dollar at the EAC convention which was held in St. Louis this year. The coin is listed in Bolender as variety #1, and it is in Dave Bowers’ book as BB-21.

It is the second most common variety of the year, but there is one interesting blunder in the date. When the die sinker was preparing the die, he punched in a "1" in the place where the "7" now shows. Realizing that the initial digit in the date was too far the right, he punched the "7" over it. It takes a 10X glass to see the bottom of the “1” beside the “7”, but it’s still an interesting feature.

Bowers also notes that the bust of Ms. Liberty was more deeply impressed into the die for this variety than on most of the other varieties. As a result the head was struck in high relief which resulted in premature wear and loss of detail. As I was looking at the piece it seemed to me that the piece had too much mint luster left to really be called an EF-40. A couple of EAC guys agreed with me. One thought that for once the grading service PCGS had under graded the piece. He even went so far as to call it an AU-50, but I think it’s a classic example of an EF-45.

At any rate, the coin will never get into a higher holder because slab graders don’t often grade coins by surfaces. Sharpness pretty much rules the day.

Bill was gracious enough to show me this coin at the EAC show. It is a lovely piece, no doubt soap-and-watered, but much nicer than the average messed-with coin. I am convinced it should properly grade EF-45, but not AU. PCGS does absolutely no favors to anyone by improperly grading it just EF-40.

Well it was silver dollar, but no matter. The EAC show dealers do offer a lot of copper, but it's also a great place to find nice to wonderful 19th century coins as well. This year's convention also issued an invitation to the John Reich Society members as well. If the that bond grows, there will be more 19th century silver coins available there as well.

I did go to the EAC convention to buy copper. I found 1803 and 1814 NGC graded large cents for my type set, but I couldn't find a thing in a Liberty Cap half cent (1794 to 1797). In past years I've found items like an very nice 1838-C quarter eagle at the EAC show and other gold and silver coins. This year I also located a 1796 half dime for my collection. If you are into late 18th and 19th century coins and pre-federal issues, the EAC convention is worth a look. If you are into modern late 20th century coins, you'll be bored out of your mind at the EAC. We spend that stuff. grin.gif