• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1858 Flying Eagle question(s),,,,

8 posts in this topic

I bought this for F money a while back but Now it seems to be developing some issues...

A couple questions,,How do I conserve it( Note the greening around the eyes),,Whats the FS #( Note the doubling on the reverse at the base of the ribbon) And what would you grade and value it as..

All scratches and marks are on the plastic holder.

58ea.png

58earev.png

I would say it is about F-EF condition. The green is verdigris and it is very hard to remove if at all. Maybe someone else can share some help in removing that for you.

It's hard to say where this piece has been and where it might be going without before and after pictures.

Is this coin in a slab? If it is you will have to crack it out to work on it. If it is in another plastic holder, I'd get it out of there. If the green spot on the eye is growing it could be because moisture is trapped in the holder. As for removing the grean you might try a thorn or some sort of wooden object with a point.

At any rate, I think that the Fine grade this piece received was a net grade. The sharpness is VF, but there issues with the black stuff that is between the letters. It might be light corrosion, and the green you see growing in the eye may be a continuation of that process.

I think the coin is a solid VF and probably does not look nearly as bad in person as the photos are quite blown up. As far as the green stuff goes, it is verdigree. I would take the coin out of the holder and soak it in acetone for about 10 or 15 minutes. It will get rid of any moisture and remove any oils/salts that may be causing it.

JJ

Still Longacre Doubling. grin.gif

FWIW, here's a gold dollar that shows the same effect:

original.jpg

Here's an 1858 SL FEC showing the same thing:

original.jpg