• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a premium is a "Early Release" or "First Strike" designation worth

23 posts in this topic

How much of a premium is a "Early Release" or "First Strike" designation worth

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nothing, nada, zero, zilch, No way Jose will I pay anything for that designation, but by all means feel free to do so if you would like. hi.gif

John

These are marketing designations that don't necessarily mean how they sound and do not necessarily mean there's any difference between these coins and non-designated coins. Both programs are listed on the US Mint Consumer Awareness Hot Items page. There is a lot of marketing hype around these designations now. Once that disappears, the premium for these designations may also disappear ... or they may not. Collectors are an interesting bunch.

First strike and now Early release is an utterly meaningless marketing designation that has no baring on serious numismatists. It was designed to hype coins that are NOT special in ANY way; those being coins released from the U.S. mint's third party packaging facility within the first 30 days of the initial distribution date.

To be slightly more fair than some other posters here, they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you think that it's worth 50% more to own a coin that was distributed within 30 days of its release and sent to a third-party grader within that time, then that's how much it's worth - 50% over the regular one. If you think it's worth no premium whatsoever (which is how most if not all board members here feel), then it's not worth any premium and you shouldn't pay it.

If you think it's worth no premium whatsoever (which is how most if not all board members here feel), then it's not worth any premium and you shouldn't pay it.
And you probably will never have one in your collection because you'd be outbid if you tried.

This is actually similar to other things collectors pay premiums for. If you think monster rainbow toners are not worth a premium, you probably won't have any in your collection because you'd always be outbid.

Well for one thing, First Strike could never be verified, so that was the reason that it was changed to First Issue. This doesn't mean much of anything if your looking for a better grade of a coin in my opinion. I think people pay more for the designation than that the quality of the coin. It's something different and isn't on all slabs so it must be worth more, RIGHT??? Not really, but there are some that like the designation enough to pay more for it.

Well for one thing, First Strike could never be verified, so that was the reason that it was changed to First Issue.
Where are you getting this? PCGS has issued First Strike designations for 2007 ASE/AGE/AGBs. NGC may have had a legal issue using First Strikes because PCGS has trademarked "First Strike." NGC moved to Early Releases, not First Issue. What First Issue designation are you referring to?

Well for one thing, First Strike could never be verified, so that was the reason that it was changed to First Issue.
Where are you getting this? PCGS has issued 2007 First Strike ASEs. NGC may have had a legal issue using First Strikes because PCGS has trademarked "First Strike." NGC moved to Early Releases, not First Issue. What First Issue designation are you referring to?

I may be wrong Zoins, but I had thought the First Strike designation was taken out because it couldn't be proved that the coins were actually first strike. I didn't know it was a PCGS trademark. confused-smiley-013.gif I still stand tho' that it still can't be proven to be frist strike and that this designation is really meaningless as to value!

The US Mint proved that First Strike was mumbo jumbo. There is NO WAY to tell which coins were actually minted first.

Where are you getting this? PCGS has issued 2007 First Strike ASEs. NGC may have had a legal issue using First Strikes because PCGS has trademarked "First Strike." NGC moved to Early Releases, not First Issue. What First Issue designation are you referring to?
I may be wrong Zoins, but I had thought the First Strike designation was taken out because it couldn't be proved that the coins were actually first strike. I didn't know it was a PCGS trademark. confused-smiley-013.gif I still stand tho' that it still can't be proven to be frist strike and that this designation is really meaningless as to value!
I'm not sure why NGC stopped using "First Strikes" but PCGS is still using "First Strike." PCGS displays the TM mark when they use the phrase. One issue NGC may have had is that they used a common numismatic definition in a legal action against PCGS that was in conflict with their marketing definition so they may have contradicted themselves. NGC was also sued over the First Strikes program. NGC has moved to "Early Releases" for their bullion program. Both First Strike and Early Releases are addressed on the US Mint Consumer Awareness page. According to the US Mint, TPG First Strikes are not struck first and TPG Early Releases are not released any earlier than the official, general release date.

I am not aware of any First Issue designation.

I'd have to agree with most everyone else here, those designations mean nothing to me!! But I do have couple!

Re: How much of a premium is a "Early Release" or "First Strike" designation worth?

it is worth less to me as it is really cheesey and unprofessional way to present a coin

insulting, patronizing and self serving that you think coin buyers are so ignorant, low brow and gullible---like sheep

makepoint.giffrustrated.gifscrewy.gif

if you really want a first strike or early release coin then look at the coin and pick onew with killer eye appeal monster ultrs stellar frost and exceptional full details

and know what a really nice first off of the dies killer early strike looks like compaired to an average later strike

then you got the true ultimate first early release strike

makepoint.gif

I agree with everyone, I bought them and sent them in to try and make a few dollar's off of them. I probably shouldn't have done that but I did. 893naughty-thumb.gif of myself. So go on and tonofbricks.gif.

I agree with everyone, I bought them and sent them in to try and make a few dollar's off of them. I probably shouldn't have done that but I did. 893naughty-thumb.gif of myself. So go on and tonofbricks.gif.
I'm not sure how much *spoon* you'll hear on selling these because I imagine quite a few people here make money selling TPG moderns, whether they are ER, FS, FDI, FDM, etc.

Sorry you've had so much trouble getting an answer to a good question. Next time you want to ask about first strike or early release you should create two threads. The first one should be entitled "Please post your personal opinions about first strike here" and the second one should be "Please answer this real and valid question about first strike".

The answer is the same answer as amost all "what is it worth" questions, whatever the market determines. Ebay sales results are a good way to look but there are always outlying sales to the high and low end so if you only have a few data points that is useless.

The bottom line often ends up being the pop report. some coins sell out or sell enough to satisfy the demand the first month and so they often command a premium for First Strike/Early Release. For example, last year, the first year of the gold buffalo, they were very popular and a zillion were submitted the first month and there are plenty of first strikes to go around. This year they are not so hot and with other products competing for dealer/submitter dollars many fewer were submitted. The MS70 FS coins seem to be holding about $100 premium over the non FS coins. I don't follow NGC pricing on moderns.

Another influence is the grade. MS or PF 70 PCGS coins are much more rare so there may not be enough FS to go around. 69's are much more common and the FS may not command much if any premium there.

--Jerry

Another influence is the grade. MS or PF 70 PCGS coins are much more rare so there may not be enough FS to go around. 69's are much more common and the FS may not command much if any premium there.
That's a good point. I've looked at a number of PCGS FS MS69 ASEs and most were selling for less than the individual issue price plus grading fees. There may be a limited number of collectors interested in FS/ER and that limited number of collectors may primarily focus on 70s.