• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

could this 1892 five cent be conserved ?

17 posts in this topic

im not to good yet at the grading/conservation thing. but if i owned coin i would try to get it looking a bit better smile.gif gr8 coin tho smile.gif

Looks AU... Not worth conserving

if u mean ncs i dont think the money would be worth it. but a nice lil dip or something to get it less dingy/rubbed. i would def do it.

Looks AU... Not worth conserving

if u mean ncs i dont think the money would be worth it. but a nice lil dip or something to get it less dingy/rubbed. i would def do it.

Yeah I meant NCS

I don't know. With toning that dark on nickel, would the surface be etched after dipping?

Is there something stuck on the surface inside the V?

Yes - use Q tip soaked in dip and gently tap the areas where you want to remove dark toning. This method should work against the dark area at 4 oclock. May take a little effort but I have had good results with worse and they came out with a nice circ look. Just be careful not to scratch the coin. Otherwise your choice is to do nothing and have an ugly coin - not something that would float my boat - I don't like ugly coins.

You can then put it in a 2 x 2 staple holder and put in your collector coin pages - looks like it should grade around XF. I find ring binders with coin pages of 20 coins are best for stuff I do not slab. If you are setting up at a show, put the ring binder in your case and one of the pages of coins on top for display. Looks neat.

Thanks for all the awnsers a right mixed bag 893applaud-thumb.gif

i may even bid on the coin now 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ps thanks for the one star its more than i deserve hail.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

No.

The coin is corroded. When a copper or bronze coin “goes bad,” the most commonly seen color is green. When a copper-nickel coin “goes bad” black is the most common color. Nickels, nickel three cent pieces and thick, “white” cents from 1857 to 1864 most often turn black when they corrode. Sometimes you will see green.

I’d stay away from this coin unless it is very cheap. It has more problems than just dirt.

Nice one BillJones hear is your star badge. I love stright awnsers

1783559-star.jpgthumbsup2.gif

wiggle the page up and down to see it 893applaud-thumb.gif

1783559-star.jpg.c67b2d2fdc470090f15fca795a4b8edc.jpg

I still don't get that. What do I do to see the star?

OH wiggle it just a little bit !! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

the round thing on your mouse (dont know what it's called)