• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY DO COIN GRADING COMPANIES GO TO THE BOOKS

11 posts in this topic

to find out if the coin is an error or a variety? The book writers should be going to the coin grading companies to find out if a coin is an error or a variety. Each coin should be graded as to what it actually is, and not be compared to the books only to see if it does exist. I doubt the writers for the books have found all the error types or varieties. This tells me many people are getting scre-ed on submissions.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

DWLANGE didn't say they look them up to see what they are. He said that only if they are listed in specific reference books will they be eligible to be submitted under the Variety Plus service. Others are to be submitted under the Mint Error service.

Thats a bunch of Poppy [!@#%^&^].

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Perhaps, but that is what he was saying. BTW, I prefer the Pecan version of Poppy Cock. How about you?

Thats a bunch of Poppy [!@#%^&^].

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Perhaps, but that is what he was saying. BTW, I prefer the Pecan version of Poppy Cock. How about you?

Hey look, that new software that Arch was talking about that differentiates the usages of "dual meaning" words really works. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The reason for limiting variety attribution to reliable and well distributed references is that this enables everyone to know exactly what it is we've certified. There are countless varieties of no particular value. While many of these have appeared in one book or another at some time, such books are often little known and may never be updated or kept in print.

As for uncataloged varieties, it's irresponsible to label these simply as DDO or RPD without defining exactly which die pairing is represented. That can't be done until they are illustrated and numbered without any ambiguity. Breen lumped multiple die pairings under a single number, and that's why we won't recognize his numbers.

Hey leaky, why not write the book yourself? "Kingcoins Guide to Statehood Quarter Varieties" would be an instant best seller. laugh.gif Some of the more popular ones might even make it into the 2010 Red Book... and then NGC will recognize them wink.gif

Kidding aside, I don't have a problem with how NGC handles varieties. Expert opinions can and do change and it takes alot of time and effort to do the research properly. So, it's probably best to let the market decide which varieties are significant and which aren't. Being listed in the Red Book or Cherrypicker's Guide is a good indicator.

Why don't we see any MODERN proof variety or errors in these books and they do exist?

Probably because the Mint records are poor, and it is difficult to adequately tell how many potential coins were struck with each damaged die, and how many may have made it past quality control.

I was at a coin show this summer. One of the newer grading companies was there. Two graders sat at the table. Two well worn copies of the ANA grading guide accompanied each grader.