• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Oregon Tr. - Opinions

20 posts in this topic

I picked this raw Oregon up this week and after following Bruce's thread I thought I might seek opinions on it. I don't know quite what to make of it.

There has been contact inside the right wrist, pushing a slight ridge of metal upward. The rim toning is dark under normal room lighting but brightens up nicely with color under a halogen desk lamp. I don't fully grasp all the nuances of luster but I'm assuming there isn't much to see here. I optimistically hoped that this type of toning would mute it anyway.

I was wondering if the rim toning was consistant with album storage, what condition/grade does this thing deserve, and do you like the "look"?

Thanks,

Matthew

78173617.qGrGgUB7.OregonPair.jpg

1779130-Oregon-Pair.jpg.2c7ef0a85a37ea31a56f1910c3a0af3c.jpg

Nice purchase Matthew, if I preferred toned comm's that would be a selection for me. Not as lustrous as Bruce's but 10 times better toning. Great luck! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was looking over a fifty piece set that was being sold this week and this one stood out with it's unusual coloring. I know many collectors frown on coins that are too dark but I like to go out on a limb once in a while looking for the coin with a little character blush.gif.

Most of you like it at least initially (Thanks) but a few of you think it slightly off and I would love to know what your are looking for. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Here is a quick shot of it on my dining room table with only the overhead tungsten lamp (As contrast to the original shot under a halogen desk lamp). I'm hoping the different lighting will help y'all get a better feel for the "in hand" look of the coin and pin down what it is that bothers you about it.

Matt

78176640.m7axoIhS.Orsnapshot.jpg

1779354-Or-snapshot.jpg.57264b7c09342e948bc5b39d503eab0b.jpg

The reason the coin looks odd to me is because the colors do not look like colors I expect to see on a toned coin, nor do they intermingle in a manner that I would expect.

Matt,

This coin is much too dark for my liking, but that’s a matter of personal preference. However, I also think the coin looks ‘odd’. The colors of the rim toning look off and don’t seem right with the dark gray and black color of the rest of the coin. My first thought upon viewing your images was that the orange & blue toning reminded me of the effect one can see from the use of liver of sulfur, but not quite. Also the dark toning seems to look like it is on top of the brighter rim toning.

The coin may be NT, but as I and others have said, it does look odd. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

This is another area where I get confused also. I've heard of different types of toning with different types of holders, albums, and even storage containers. I guess that silver only tones one way unless AT'd? confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess that silver only tones one way unless AT'd?

Bobby,

No, not at all. Silver can tone in many ways and colors, but certain combinations of color and/or toning patterns just don’t normally happen together under the conditions that coins are usually stored in. Once you learn how different metals normally tone under different conditions, strange colors or patterns just seem to jump out at you and raise a red flag.

John

Silver, copper and nickel can tone in most any way and this depends largely on storage method, environment and time. However, some "looks" are more typical than others. Similarly, one can create color on a coin via various methods and many of these methods have their own characteristic qualities. High quality images can convey much about a coin, but they are in no way a replacement for viewing a coin in-hand. The interpretation of how a coin comes to appear as it does, and if that look is legitimate or desireable, has much to do with experience, analytical reasoning and gut reaction. This is the core of the conundrum for many folks with respect to toning and it provides a broad boulevard for folks to drive manipulated coinage down. John and I, as well as others here, are interpreting this coin based upon our own histories and several of us are coming to similar conclusions.

In my opinion, the coin was artificially toned, then a solution of jeweluster was applied to give "white" centers. The solution was strong enough to remove dark center toning from the obverse centers, but not completely applied to the rim.

The telltale signs are as follows.

Obverse:

Since the coin obverse is essentially a "dish" with concave fields, the solution affected the lowest parts of the coin, leaving a defined "edge", much like a "shoreline" when water recedes from a lake. From 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock, there is a definite and abrupt cessation of toning defined by a very unusual pattern. In addition, the color of the definition lines appear dark and uneven, while the color on the rim is more vibrant. The rim color remains unaffected by the solution. If you look at the coin with a more tilted angle, you can see the "shoreline" pattern thoughout the obverse. The solution was too strong, leaving a cast gray finish in the center of the coin, which is not the natural progression of true toning.

Reverse:

A better job on the solution since the reverse is more "shallow". However, the solution turned the purples to sea green at 7 o'clock. Usually, the progression of toning is not sea green, but forest green, then violet. Again, you have a cast grey center, which is not in agreement with the overall toning pattern. Although 1926S oregons are notorious for having differing rainbow colors, the pattern should be crescent from rim to center and not ill-defined.

TRUTH