• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1846 Large Cent real or not????

16 posts in this topic

A friend of mine handed me a large box of coins and ask me to look through them to see if any were worth anything. Most just average coins, some old buffalo nickels, lots of indian head cents, and two of these large cents, that I know very little about. My question is, is this one real or fake, there seems to be some slag for the lack of a better word around the date and some of the stars. It also has some other funny markings. The other one seems a lot cleaner than this one. Thanks in advance for any help!!! Sorry about the picture, I'm still practicing coin photography. confused.gif

1778984-1846.jpg.1e0865d7b15b5acefd07f2fccc9d2ec6.jpg

The coin looks real, perhaps once cleaned, and it has some corrosion on some of the devices. It's highly unlikely a counterfeit, although one can't rule that out with a photo.

Hoot

A friend of mine handed me a large box of coins and ask me to look through them to see if any were worth anything. Most just average coins, some old buffalo nickels, lots of indian head cents, and two of these large cents, that I know very little about. My question is, is this one real or fake, there seems to be some slag for the lack of a better word around the date and some of the stars. It also has some other funny markings. The other one seems a lot cleaner than this one. Thanks in advance for any help!!! Sorry about the picture, I'm still practicing coin photography. confused.gif

1778984-1846.jpgthumbsup2.gif

I thought it was kind of odd that all the other coins would be real and this one wouldn't be, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the input, Hoot, Bobby, Dooly,and Bruce!!!!

Dave!

Did you find any thing else of intrest in the lot ?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and was there any shield nickels in the group 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well honestly I'm still going through them. No shield nickels, at least not yet, plenty of V nickels 1906-1912 good to fine. 1808 Draped Bust Half maybe VG. Tons of Ike dollars!!!!! If anything else of interest pops out at me I'll show it. Just to let you know I am having fun looking through all these coins.

Just to let you know I am having fun looking through all these coins.

This is the main part about the hobby. As long as you having fun! The 1808 sounds nice. Care to show it?

Sorry Bruce I must have gotten off the computer before you made the post. Anyway here is the 1808 Draped Bust Half Cent. Yeah I know I said almost VG, maybe G, I'm not sure, let me know what you think since I'm still fairly new to the whole grading thing! By the way How do you get the images on the board verse the file? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1779691-1808.jpg.9a2466ac131cc51e74423b54e85c3bf5.jpg

Here you go Lem grin.gif

1779691-1808.jpg

I click on attachment, then under the blue internet explorer bar at the top of page there is the http of the attachment ,i copy that , go back to post,click edit .

when this comes up type then paste your attachment followed by

Hope this helps bumpit.gif

Thanks Condor101, I wish and hoping to make it mine, what do you think a fair price would be, remember this belongs to a friend, don't want to rip off a friend!!