• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Please.... Oregon Trail Commem

31 posts in this topic

Here we have a 1928 Oregon Trail Commem. This coin is currently in a PCGS MS66 "Rattler" I bought this coin many years ago from an older man looking to sell some coins. Anyhow, what do you think of the coin? Any chance of moving to a MS67 holder? Toning... Ugly? Pretty? The luster is all there, but the photos do not show it as well as it should be. There are a few small holder scratches. Here is the photo.

1928o.jpg

Edited to add.. The luster is killer, but I totally missed in the photos.

looks killer and ms67 to me thumbsup2.gif

the key is(are) the two areas of the coin

first are there any marks on the indians legs?

second-- on the reverse the highest point of the reverse

where the edge of the wagon touches the edge/rim of the coin at 230pm are there any marks on this tip of the wagons canvus in this area?

if no to both of the above then you got an ms 67++/68

and from what i can see in the photograph my quesstimate

is this coin is an ms 67 893applaud-thumb.gif

the key marks wise waht separates an ms 67 from ms68 is

a maRK free coin on the reverse especially

so with regards to the tip

of the wagons canvus where it

touches the edge of the reverse at 230 pm

so if no marks there and in combo with a slight mark

on the indians leg i again guesstimTE this coin( as i cant see it in hand sight seen) a no brainer ms 67

Leg has one tiny mark. The Reverse side has no marks at all. The reverse is without question MS67 but does the obverse make it?

yes bruce the coin makes an ms67 easily

yes yes bruce

if not for this leg area the coin would be a no brainer ms 68

Bruce, the lustre does show-especially the obverse(assuming the indian is the obverse). I believe the coin as shown should upgrade. I do not like the toning at all, as it looks like it is rusted, not toned as in colorful. Too splotchy and tarnished looking for me. I do not believe that this will aid nor hurt its upgradability. Nice coin without the toning.

Michael I am sure you know why I am wondering. MS66 vs MS67 is big money! MS68 would be a killer coin! This coin is not MS68.

I do not care much for the toning, too uneven. There are some tiny hits on the upper leg and hip of the Indian, but the toning will not allow me to see much else. My guess is the coin is properly graded. Who knows, a flash dip might show a MS67.

With only a $100 price differential between the two grades, I would not bother submitting. It would still be the same coin.

I like the coin as a 66. If Michael is right it could go 67 and I would not be surprised.

There are lots of Oregons... I'm looking for one with pink/red toning at 9 o'clock on the obverse. That way the wagon will look like it is headed into the setting sun...

Mozin According to PCGS Price guide.. It shows MS 66 are $535.00 and MS67 at $1900.00 In heritage actions these coins go for $400.00 to $450.00 in MS66 $1400.00 or so in MS67

Bruce,

Mark wise and strike wise I can see the coin possibly up grading to MS-67, although going by your images I’m more comfortable with the coin as a 66. In my opinion, the toning is not attractive and distracts from the coins eye appeal.

Just my honest opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

John your opinion counts. Personally the toning is not my favorite either. Although it does scream original at least. I got this coin at a great deal long ago, which was my main reason to pick it up. Not to mention to match my other MS66 Oregon which I like much more. 1926 is the date on that one. I got that one also at a great deal. It is now ANACS MS66.

1926.jpg

Bruce,

One other thing. IMO, there is no wat that coin would make MS-68.

John

I agree 100% this coin is far from MS68. MS67 at best. MS66 now. I am not going to crack it out and play that game though. If I sent it in to see it is going in the holder.

Bruce,

One other thing to think about. In my experience, the TPG’s seem to be extra diligent in their grading when it comes to coins at the grade/price bump level. A coin has to really be all there to get the bump because of the large price increase. This coin certainly appears to be MS-66, but an MS-67? Maybe, if its eye appeal was better, but I honestly don’t feel its eye appeal warrants the bump.

John

John I agree with you about the eye appeal. In hand it looks a bit better than the photos. I will reshoot it later and see what I come up with.

Absolutely impossible to give a truly informed opinion based upon those images as to this coin going MS66 or MS67.

I can see some hits on the leg, shoulder, and arm plus some carbon spots and deep toning spots, along with some unattractive toning. Personally, I think the coin is in its tomb.

Want to take a chance, send the coin to ANACS with a cross only at MS67. If they feel it is MS66 or lower, it stays in the rattler and you can sell it for a premium. If they feel it is MS67, it gets crossed and you can then try to cross it to NGC/PCGS or sell as is.

I can see some hits on the leg, shoulder, and arm plus some carbon spots and deep toning spots, along with some unattractive toning. Personally, I think the coin is in its tomb.

Greg,

You have such a way with words. 27_laughing.gif

John

Greg this coin may be in its tomb, but we both know how people go nuts over a rattler slab. If I had not got this coin for the price I did, I would have passed.

Just doesn't seem to have the *POP* of a MS67 coin, to me. My first impressions upon the images was MS65. The toning is not attractive in my opinion.

I'm afraid that I can't get too excited about this coin, though I love this series. I would definitely be concerned about a downgrade here.

James this is why I am not going to crack it out. I have that fear as well. Although I am fairly sure this coin is every bit of MS66 we all know how the services can be. I will take this coin to the TNA show and get some opinions.

Chad the luster is there on the coin, but this one does not photo well.

The Oregon is one of my favorite commemoratives, top five for sure. However, it is a deceptively complex coin, with much subtle detail and intricacies in the sculpting. Therefore, I am pretty picky on what kind of toning I like on these coins. Of course, that should have nothing to do with the grade, but the mottled look of this coin does not add to the eye-appeal. I hope the best for an upgrade!

I agree with James. The OT is one of my favorites, too, but I don't particularly care for the toning on this one. I've seen a few that have the tab-toning from the original holder, but they have always sold for more than I can afford.

Chris

I agree with James. The OT is one of my favorites, too, but I don't particularly care for the toning on this one. I've seen a few that have the tab-toning from the original holder, but they have always sold for more than I can afford.

Chris

Very nice OT Bruce just misses that all important "eye appeal" for a Ms-67 i think it has found a home IMHO thumbsup2.gif

I believe that the toning is too splotchy/uneven/stained for the coin to get an MS67 grade and would leave it as is if it were mine. If you choose to sell it, you could always consign it to a public auction, where you could find out what others/bidders thought, based upon their bids. wink.gif

Mark you make a good point. Maybe I will throw this into Auction. Heritage is just down the road from me. They had offered to buy the coin off me some time back, but I turned them down. I did not like the offer they made.

Although I am not a big fan of toned coins, especially with my wallet this one is a beauty. You may get me into toned coins Bruce as this one is really attractive. Of course Orgon Commems are one of my favorites.

Will it go MS 67 - it has really exquisite orange and rust toning and really nice luster. As far as marks I simply can't see anything in the scan that would prevent it from going 67. Give it a coupla shots 1st at the TPG most likely to appreciate its toning (if PCGS will not reholder it at a higher grade) - NGC? Then if not successful, try, try again.

On risk in cracking it out - a lower grade or some consertavitive grader believing its AT. Looks NT to me but I do not consider myself a toning guru. Start out at PCGS getting it reholdered to be on the safe side and maybe they might upgrade it for your while they're at it.