• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Shield Nickel 5 cent added to my collection

18 posts in this topic

Hi all

Been hunting on eBay USA again and picked this 1867 N.R. for a bargin price

I have started looking at my Fletcher's and first "gess" is a F-24 but my chances of finding a URS-1 is a bit of a long shot 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i am having problems to weather some of the doubling is mechanical or not, still its a very intresting coin with a lot of stuff going on thumbsup2.gif

I will keep looking and keep you all posted,, but hear are some pictures for you all to look over......

1777125-1867.jpg1777125-1867d.jpg

1777125-1867d2.jpg1777125-1867l.jpg

1777125-1867r.jpg1777125-1867r2.jpg

1777125-1867w2.jpg

1777125-1867w.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

1777125-1867w.jpg.ff894ed42a954b60970eebdc1440c56b.jpg

Cheers skippy thumbsup2.gif another type to add to my collection love all these things you can find in this Series

another question do Shield contempory forgerys have a value ?

hi.gif

I was going to say strike doubling at first, but I looked again at the pictures a bit closer, and I am not so sure. Specifically, the bottom right leaf looks split, and the cross directly under T of Trust. Good find, but I don't know anything about which variety it is.

Thanks for the information all i have scaned it from a diffrent angle ? any help? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1777320-%24.jpg1777320-%24%24.jpg

1777320-%24%24%24.jpg

hi.gif

589a92879ac13_1777320-.jpg.a6c4c9a4d2523dd8cf5d0cfb86c9510b.jpg

I don’t know a great deal about these but if you change the title to include the word “Shield” nickel in it, Lou (IGWT) may just be able to tell you what you need to know about this coin. Personally, I like it as a type coin thumbsup2.gif.

Thanks for the information all i have scaned it from a diffrent angle ? any help? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1777320-%24.jpg

If you look at the photo above, you can see very similar doubling in the date and in the hooks above and to the right of the ball. Whenever the date and other devices are similarly doubled on shield nickels, it's a sure sign of strike doubling.

Absolutely. I'll buy all that you can supply me with. :-)

Not if I get there first. wink.gif But I have the feeling that Dooly is collecting, not selling.

Interesting coin, though I'm not sure how to analyze this particular item. An MS Shield is on my short list of collecting goals for this year, so I've been seeing more of them lately. To me its one of the classic 'coins most Americans don't even know were ever made.'

Not if I get there first. wink.gif But I have the feeling that Dooly is collecting, not selling.

I didn't know you would collect cfeits, Lou. The best of them are hardly nice looking coins. ;-)

O! yes Nabbing what i can at the moment ! not many errors about at the moment but still looking thumbsup2.gif

I didn't know you would collect cfeits, Lou. The best of them are hardly nice looking coins. ;-)

My collection of counterfeits stands at . . . 0. That's not due to lack of interest, but lack of time to search where I need to look. I've toyed with the idea of adding counterstamps to the collection; but, they're more expensive than I thought they would be, and they'd drain resources that I need for the core collection.

In case you missed it, you might have a comment or two to add here.

My collection of counterfeits stands at . . . 0. That's not due to lack of interest, but lack of time to search where I need to look. I've toyed with the idea of adding counterstamps to the collection; but, they're more expensive than I thought they would be, and they'd drain resources that I need for the core collection.

In case you missed it, you might have a comment or two to add here.

There's a special place to look for counterfeits? That's news to me. I spot one here and there - mostly eBay, often offered as genuine coins.

I have also avoided counterstamped coins to conserve resources.

I popped into that other thread - thanks for the link.