• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington dollars - 1000 coin boxes

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure you've all heard about the frenzie with the Washington golden dollars and the blank rim errors that are floating around out there, but how many of you (consipiracy theorists) believe this could have been done on pupose by the USMint to create a buzz?

Also has anyone bought a box of 1000 coins and found any blank rims? I bought a box from the infamouse 103 CWI and didn't find a single one. I was thinking of buying another box and either trying my luck again or just holding onto it for a year or so and then flipping it on Ebay - what do you think?

Also do you think there is a date that would give a bettter change of finding these rimless coins? The last one I bought was Jan 31st but the ones I'm looking at now on Ebay are around Dec 13th....

Thanks

Daniel

I'm sure you've all heard about the frenzie with the Washington golden dollars and the blank rim errors that are floating around out there, but how many of you (consipiracy theorists) believe this could have been done on pupose by the USMint to create a buzz?

No, I fully believe in the incompetence of the Mint.

Also has anyone bought a box of 1000 coins and found any blank rims? I bought a box from the infamouse 103 CWI and didn't find a single one.
They are not randomly distributed.

I received my last 1000 dollar box with the #103 on it of George W's around middle of March .the time before that around Jan 07 I received from the same bank another 1000 dollar box with the #82 on it but that was Sac's and SBA's

I thought someone mentioned the number is based on the certian area of the country where the coins are rolled.

Im from Syracuse NY and about half way done with the GW box and no smooth rims here either

Maybe someone knows what the numbers mean. foreheadslap.gif ... Jeff

This thread may be past it's expiration date, but I had some thoughts and questions.

I've been reluctant to buy a box of coins llike this, first the upfront cost. But also it seems I'd have the best shot at finding something interesting, errors, higher grades, etc. By taking one roll from 40 boxes than 40 rolls from one box.

It would seem to me the mint would box based on a single production run.

Is my thinking wrong? Does it matter?

The coins are rolled by a company called Coinwrap, Inc (hence the CWI mark on the box). They roll the coins for the Federal Reserve Banks, or "Fed," which pick them up and store them until banks order them. Typically, banks with multiple branches have a central bank that order the coins from their regional Fed. The branches then order the coinage they need from their own central bank facility. The coins are all transported around, of course, by armored car services. They are stamped with three pieces of information. (a) The CWI#, (b) the date they were rolled, and © an inspector code indicating who inspected the box to make sure all the rolls were wrapped properly and the count was correct. The CWI# stands for the Coinwrap, Inc. location that wrapped the coins. The CWI location number that rolled the plain edge Washington coins found in and around the Tallahassee area is 103. Therefore, the CWI#103 is NOT a lot number, but simply a location number that appears on every single box of coins, of any type, Presidential or otherwise, that leaves that facility.

You can read more at:

http://coins.about.com/b/a/000084.htm

Regards

Daniel