• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contest Time! Appalachian Hoard? PKOK Hoard? BattleCreek Hoard?

78 posts in this topic

OK, I want one of those Ikes, but I'm not feeling very creative. The Military-Industrial Complex Hoard? No, too long, and "industrial" wrongly hints of artificial toning. The Eisenhowers' first son was nicknamed "Little Icky." There's some potential in that name, but it'll be hard to dupe, er . . . to sell Icky coins to novice color collectors. A tie-in to D-Day is also tempting, but I can't think of anything clever along those lines. Anyhow, I think that Greg offers sounds advice; and, if he knew the story behind these coins, he probably would have been able to suggest a particular name himself.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Eisenhower Presidential Library took place in April, 1959, and it opened a couple of years later. Public funding for operations wasn't adequate, and, as private fundraising lagged behind projections, the Library struggled to find ways to increase revenues. The minting of the Ike $1 in 1971 was seen as a godsend by the director of the Library. He followed the advice of the gift shop manager (whose name I must keep confidential for obvious reasons) to purchase rolls and rolls of Ikes to make brooches to sell to visitors. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Unfortunately, the damned things were ugly, and nobody wanted a honkin' Ike dangling from their necks or pinned to their lapels. The gift shop couldn't even give them away. The plan was dropped (after a few years), and all the coins were literally shelved. The gift shop manager instructed the head of the custodial staff (whose name I must keep confidential for obvious reasons) to find someplace to store the coins.

Our head custodian didn't even think to put the coins in the climate controlled facility used by the museum to protect the Eisenhower papers. After all, they're cheap clad coins. So, he put the coins in a corrugated cardboard box, carried them to the dank basement, and put them on the top of an unfinished wooden shelf next to the boiler. There they sat for 25 years, until a new member of the custodial staff (whose name I must keep confidential for obvious reasons) was cleaning out the basement last month. He discovered the coins and -- believe it or not -- struck a deal with the Library to buy the lot at face value. A hoard was born.

Where's the Eisenhower Presidential Library? Abilene, Kansas. These coins would most appropriately be called: (1) The Abilene Hoard, (2) The Library Hoard, or (3) The Brooch Hoard. Take your pick, and send me my Ike. grin.gif

Edited to add: I know what you're all thinking. But, no, I have not ever worked for the New York Times.

The "shoebox hoard" I showed recently is reminiscent of these coins, though nowhere near as high-contrast. How about the "Saturn's Ringtone Hoard of Ike Dollars"?

inset-saturn-rings-large.jpg

Get the coin in a TPG slab. Offer the entire hoard to all the major grading services. See which one bites.

AND if your hoard is big enough, you can get them to give even the lousy and mediocre ones a *star* designation !!!!

Isn't your participation in the contest a bit like David Hall dealing coins? mad.gif

Besides, Mamie never looked that good.

Chris

Can i win if i am in the UK ?

My gess is

"THE FAR SIDE CRATER HOARD"

1776760-farside.jpg

Its strange but i have just been looking at these on eBay for my 71 set sign-offtopic.gif

1776760-3504_12.jpg1776760-3663_12.jpg

1776760-37c2_12.jpg

1776760-1971toner.jpg1776760-1971toner2.jpg

sorry for stealing the post sorry.gifhi.gif

1776760-1971toner2.jpg.a13df477225b46a56acba527246c5e59.jpg

Isn't your participation in the contest a bit like David Hall dealing coins? mad.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

EIther the "I can't believe it's not artificial toning" Hoard or the "SPF-30" Hoard 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

* Use your inner Fabio voice * ... “I can’t believe it’s not butter”

That commercial always cracked me up laughing1.gif