• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am in shock over the price of my jefferson!!

41 posts in this topic

In my opinion, the nickel has to much chatter on it to be in a 67 holder to start with.. Sorry frown.gif

Well I'll count that as one vote as to not attempting cross-over. 27_laughing.gif

Make it 2. I would not cross it either. As a side note thought the new price will raise the price of NGC graded pieces some. Keep a watch out for them on ebay.

Well looking unanimous. Looks like I'll be keeping it in the NGC holder for sure. Maybe I'll start looking for a PCGS one. That would be a nice little endeavor. Right now you can't even find one on ebay.

Well looking unanimous. Looks like I'll be keeping it in the NGC holder for sure. Maybe I'll start looking for a PCGS one. That would be a nice little endeavor. Right now you can't even find one on ebay.
Especially since there is only one. laugh.gif

Especially since there is only one. laugh.gif

Got a point there Bob. 27_laughing.gif

Well I'm not a grader and I know we've had several posts on the boards concerning TPG's and everyone's preferences and all. I've heard "Buy the coin, not the slab". This jeff just makes me think, how can anyone be sure that a coin is what it is in a slab. This is in a top TPG. I have alot of coins (a lot for me anyway) that are in NGC slabs. I have some in PCGS. What I'm gathering here is that NGC over-graded on this coin. What makes this any different from buying coins in other TPG slabs? Are coins graded with this much magnification as we see our 800-1000pixel pictures? Should the Top tpg's start using more magnification to refine thier grading? I'm actually a litttle disappointed to have a coin in a top TPG that is overgraded. I'm not worried so much as value, REALLY!! but it's the thought that I have confidence in this TPG and if I had bought this coin for much more money thinking that the grade was correct and finding out it's not, what then? So looking at this coin for example, does this make you lose any confidence in the TPG it is slabbed in? I'm really not looking to get into issues with those who have opinions of only buying raw coins. I'm looking for those that have confidence in the top tpg's and what you think? Do you think the top tpg's are starting to be too lenient with grading?

I'm not looking for anyone to condemn TPG's here, just looking for opinions on how you would feel buying an over-graded coin from a TPG you trusted. Maybe it was a fluke and slid by, but what if that was a cost to you? Does no one have any opinion on this subject?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Its been said a Million Times so no one wants to again

BUY THE COIN NOT THE HOLDER

I think your picture however exaggerates its flaws which all Business strikes have. Back out the picture and light it up better and see what it looks like.

PLUS I think Michael wanted to trade you a GOLD piece for it didn't he smile.gif

hahahahha

Its been said a Million Times so no one wants to again

BUY THE COIN NOT THE HOLDER

I think your picture however exaggerates its flaws which all Business strikes have. Back out the picture and light it up better and see what it looks like.

PLUS I think Michael wanted to trade you a GOLD piece for it didn't he smile.gif

Actually I wanted it close so that all flaws could be seen. Looking at the coin in hand looks very nice with lots of luster. My point with the pics was is it actually MS67 with those marks. When I get past MS63, my grading skills get lower with every grade higher. BTW, I think michael was joking Mike! 27_laughing.gif

Based on other Jeffs that I have, I would agree with others and grade it MS65/66. IMHO, the obverse has too many marks for MS67.