• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, a client has decided he wants to get some 15 proof coins certified

22 posts in this topic

Bang for the buck, who should I go with? These are late 1930s through early 50s era proofs. I don't want him to get scrooged by overly tight anal grades, but I also don't want loosey goosey grades. We just want normal, sensible grades. I really do think some of the early proofs could CAM, and they are relatively very nice coins with minimal to no hairlines.

Opinions, please!

Since it's multiple coins, how about a test sample first. Pick 6 coins out of the bunch and send two each to Anacs, NGC and PCGS and see which grades you most agree with when they come back and then submitt the remaining coins to that service.

JJ

Very good idea JJ. I agree 100%. As good as you are at grading coins James, I would think that this would serve the greater good for your customer with the least amount of risk, and at the same time give us plenty of fodder for discussion in regards to the outcome. 27_laughing.gif

I have been very satisfied HERE ... BUT I find that ALL TPG;s are getting tight on ANY CAM designations.

I have Prof Sets from 1951 thru 1998 feel free to check out the grades and designations.

Mike

Coins look better in PCGS holders.

Until the PCGS slab gets scuffed up horribly - which usually only takes the return trip from PCGS to your door. frown.gif

These are late 1930s through early 50s era proofs... I really do think some of the early proofs could CAM, and they are relatively very nice coins with minimal to no hairlines.

You've got proofs from the '30's that could CAM? That would be a big ticket item and therefore you should go with one of the big two grading services.

I would also try ICG. Not only are their holders nice, but I do think they do a good job on non-modern coins. Sometimes, I think they overgrade moderns.

Scott hi.gif

then leave them raw in airtights.....

if you want to send then into for profit private subjective opinion investor pricing services then you asked and answered your own question

you will get either bb high grades or low grades or maybe the grade you want 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it is all a cr*p shoot

but i can tell you this young man within the last week the services have finally (in general) stopped grading so overly tight and many submitting dealers report that the services are finally making and being reasonable with grades

what this means i do not know as it is all a bell curve with many bodybags thrown in for good measure

good luck with your gamboling cr*p shoot thumbsup2.gif

If he's going to sell them soon: PCGS.

If he is simply going to collect them for awhile: NGC (could get a STAR or two out of the grouping! Nice bonus).

If he believes there may be a 'hidden' problem or two: ANACS.

Coins look better in PCGS holders.

Until the PCGS slab gets scuffed up horribly - which usually only takes the return trip from PCGS to your door. frown.gif

Actually, since NGC changed over to a softer plastic a few years ago, they seen to scuff up far more easily than PCGS. I think NGC changed over to a softer plastic so it would be less brittle and less likely to chip which was a problem with their earlier harder plastic.

For proofs back in the thirties. I say send them all in. keep the ones you think graded out, and crack out, resubmit then sell one to recoupe from the crazy high certification fees. Oh! I would send them to NGC then PCGS, just because I support them.

From what I have seen in the marketplace, PCGS slabs command a little premium over NGC's. Then again I have been wrong before. screwy.gif

I would go with NGC, the grading service of the ANA.

Because they were willing to pay more for the privilege.

From what I have seen in the marketplace, PCGS slabs command a little premium over NGC's. Then again I have been wrong before. screwy.gif

You can not make generalizations like this unless you want to look ignorant.

It is the coin and not who's holder it is in that determines selling price with knowledgeable buyers. As long as the coin is in the holder of one of the four grading services: PCGS, ICG, NGC, ANACS you should be ok. These grading services are accepted by Teletrade.

It is the coin and not who's holder it is in that determines selling price with knowledgeable buyers

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kool-aid drinkers will pay enormous sums for PCGS coins over NGC, and they are very knowledgeable people. I wouldn't pay more for PCGS over NGC, but people will, and do.

Early proofs will be looked at by connoisseur collectors and not the modern proof addicts, so me thinks that any top tier grading company would do a good service to have these early proof examples encapsulated.

I would not send them in as one submission, I'd break them up a bit...the chances of these coins getting good grades en-mass might be a problem. A handful here and there is more likely to get a better shot a better grade. (The wow appeal to some of the lesser examples might be lost with a mini-hoard submission, let those of lesser quality stand on their own)

Btw: There is nothing wrong with being a Modern Proof Addict smile.gif

then leave them raw in airtights.....

if you want to send then into for profit private subjective opinion investor pricing services then you asked and answered your own question

you will get either bb high grades or low grades or maybe the grade you want 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it is all a cr*p shoot

but i can tell you this young man within the last week the services have finally (in general) stopped grading so overly tight and many submitting dealers report that the services are finally making and being reasonable with grades

what this means i do not know as it is all a bell curve with many bodybags thrown in for good measure

good luck with your gamboling cr*p shoot thumbsup2.gif

Michael, your post (like so many) is just killing me... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Soooo good to see some one call like it is once and awhile. yay.gif

insane.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif" For Profit Private Subjective Opinion Investor Pricing Services" insane.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

very nice....