• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 Proofs

8 posts in this topic

I think the answer people's posted is that there was some ordering thing at the Mint where people who ordered early got them, but like by September all their stock were damaged? Vague recollection ... someone help me out here.

No good reason, and eventually they will probably straighten themselves out. It will take quite some time though since the high price has its own inertia, Current owners don't want to take a loss so they avoid selling. This keeps pieces off the market while demand remains. This means that those pieces that do sell at a loss will be at a small loss because of the artifical supply/demand situation. Over time the small losses combined with the slow increase of the prices of the other date coins will eventually result in a decrease in the price disparigy until the price more closely mirrors the mintage difference. (Although it will probably always be slightly more than it should be just because it was once much higher than the others. Kind of how the 1986 silver eagle brings a premium over other dates with much lower mintages.)

I thought that the 2000 Sac was the last sac put into normal circulation. So the 2001 one would have been the first Sac only available to collectors thru proof, mint sets, etc.. confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought that the 2000 Sac was the last sac put into normal circulation. So the 2001 one would have been the first Sac only available to collectors thru proof, mint sets, etc.. confused-smiley-013.gif

2001 Sacs were also struck for circulation, but you won't see very many because of the glut of 2000's. smile.gif