• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth bidding any higher on this 1804 half cent?

21 posts in this topic

It shows higher value than that at AU55. I would take into consideration that this slab is more than likely over-graded, but if the coin is real, don't see why it isn't worth more than your bid for sure. I don't know anything about these, so another's opinion may be different. just going by the grade and the not-so-great tgp.

What I am worried about is what looks like a spot on the obverse which could indicate a previous cleaning. NNC overgrades and the color just does not look right to me. I wanted it for my type set and am reluctant to bid significantly higher without seeing the coin in hand. The pictures stink.

The image makes it appear to be garbage, but if you are happy to throw that type of money at that type of coin, then go for it.

I think your should be happy that you got outbid. laugh.gif

This is not a coin for me, and I would pass on this auction. 1804 half cents are common enough, even in high grade, that you should be able to find a much nicer example with some patience...Mike

I bid on late last night and probably should not have. I remember entering the bid then thinking should I have done that for that coin. Anyway thanks for the advice and the winning bid was $955. I hope it looks better in hand.

Honestly, I would take advantage of the return policy. That is a pretty ugly coin, not to make you feel bad or anything.

I don't think he won it physics, he only bid 6 something but he watched it go for the 9.

It is a nice, attractive coin you bought at a steal - current mkt value around $7000.. However, that grading service is not one of the major 4 but I grade the coin, not who's holder it is in.. I myself would probably retail it at $6950.

The coin is also very nicely lustrous, a PQ MS 64 RB you got a super deal on. Way to go! It has good, strike, luster, and details; a real keeper coin. Definitely superb Unc. It also looks fully original, no cleaning marks.

This is definitely a coin to send back. I'll have a better look at the photo when I return from EAC, but it is quite evidently a coin that has been badly recolored and is not uncirculated.

Hoot

This is definitely a coin to send back. I'll have a better look at the photo when I return from EAC, but it is quite evidently a coin that has been badly recolored and is not uncirculated.

Hoot

Hey Hoot, Is there anything that can be done to repair the coin...

If you don't take advantage of the return policy and let the 5 days expire someday you will regret it. Sorry to say that coin is one giant pile of SHXX. Of course there is a number that coin would be just fine at but it's not a grand.

Is there anything that can be done to repair the coin...

Yes, but it would take on the appearance of the circulated coin it is. That'd be the right thing to do.

Hoot

I did not win it.

Glad to hear it. Hope the new owner is either VERY happy and holds on to the coin for a long time, or send sends it back immediately - hopefully the latter. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hoot