• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flea Market purchase! What ya think?

65 posts in this topic

Well the 1805 I know is AG grade. I know it's not the best but it is 202 yrs old. The franklin is a proof. It has alot of milk spots on it. I liked it tho' cause it has kind of a bluish tone to it around the letters on the Obv with a little brown. The Rev., when you hold it right has major green tone to it. It has some very good shine to it but I wanted the pics to pay more attention to the color if I could. I know there's much better and I probably got took by a few dollars but I gave the old man $40 for both. But I did pick-up a nice 64' washington, 51' & 64' roosevelt for $2 for all three.

1805largecent.jpg

1963franklin.jpg

I like the cent better than the Franklin simply because the milk spots are a major distraction to my eye. This is a coin, even though it has otherwise attractive toning, that I would pass on because of the first impressions that it gives. Such coins can be purchased for a lower price than other examples, but I must always weigh the question if this is a coin I really want in my collection? After that, is it a coin that other collectors would also like to possess?

I went through a time when I collected coins because they were available and seemed to be economical enough but have since become much more careful in what I care to add to my collection. Forty dollars may not be much for some people but for others it can be a significant sum toward other coins. To each his own. Just for fun, it might be interesting to ask coin dealers what they would give you for the Franklin. For what it is worth, these are my thoughts.

To each his own. Just for fun, it might be interesting to ask coin dealers what they would give you for the Franklin. For what it is worth, these are my thoughts.

I am guessing that they wouldn't give him much at all for the Franklin. While the reverse may have decent toning (if you can get over the spots), the obverse is just plain ugly.

On the bright side, you seem to have gotten a nice piece of copper for a decent price (if a little high). The crud around the wreath worries me a little bit, though.

Well I know there are far from nice coins. The milk spots are more noticable in the pics because I lightened it to get the tone to show. They are less distracting in hand, there tho' none the less. This is a closer to what it looks like in hand. The pic is still highlighting the milk spots more than they are, but still distracting. Well the PO1 cent, was $35. "I know Mike" foreheadslap.gif, and the franklin was $5. I don't re-sell my coins as of this time in place, so I'm not really buying for market re-sale. I'm buying these for me. Sometimes I have been known to pay too much money for something but that is merely based on my ignorance of certain coins when I see them. 27_laughing.gif It's very hard to memorize the redbook or PCGS value guides by heart. Which may bring me to a numismatic post for help. Thanks for your opinions, I know they're rough but I didn't buy them to put on ebay.

1963franklinnorm.jpg

As long as you are happy Bobby, that's what counts. I've tried to get into frankies over the years and have owned some decent coins, but just not my cup of tea in any condition-although a 1954 that I had years ago without sheen was really the nicest coin I had-flat silver color with toning around the edges-AU maybe.

Well, I think it's pushing a FR-2,but it's the obverse that matters most...

Guess I've never heard of FR Hayden. what's that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bobby, the Franklin looks better in the latter pics but it is still one that I would pass on regardless of price. That's my opinion for my tastes and collection.

The cent has merit to it, least of all being 202 years old. Of the two you have posted, I would prefer this one. At $35 I would have to think about it.

Yes, it is difficult to keep prices in mind when at flea markets, coins shops, shows, etc. I find it helps to carry some sort of price guide with me and do some research before purchasing a coin, if I have a doubt regarding the price.

Your collection is simply that, your collection. You have posted many wonderful coins and have a nice eye for them. The Franklin does nothing for me. You asked us what we thought and I was honest. Nothing personal intended or meant. There are a few coins in my collection others might not want either. That's the way the hobby is. At some point you may dispose of your collection or pass it on to your heirs. Honest opinions, even about the less than perfect coins can help one stay objective more than sentimental.

Bobby, since you asked for an opinion, neither coin is my cup of tea. However, coin collecting is all about what YOU like, so if they float your boat, then GREAT!

So true TJ. hey I post here because I am not afraid of anyone's opinions. Everyone here has thier own tastes and that's what posting is all about. I can take the bad just as I can take the good. It doesn't bother me. I know some of my choices aren't always the best, but ya just kind of get caught up in the moment and say, I'll take it, I'll see how I made out when I get home. I do know one thing tho', it may be ugly but it's the oldest coin I have now. 27_laughing.gif

Can't wait for the next crusty and poor coin post! 27_laughing.gif

I've seen a few PO1's that have sold for MS or better money on eBay. If that turns out to be one, $35 would be a bargain.

I agree Bobby go for what you like thumbsup2.gif

PO1 FR2 AG3 G4 rest you know I am sure

PO1 FR2 AG3 G4 rest you know I am sure

Ok, didn't know there was something between PO & AG. thumbsup2.gif

Hi, Bobby

Your 1805 Large Cent has seen plenty changing of hands. I really enjoy coins in this condition, the stories it could tell if it could talk! I just love to imagine where a coin like this has been in the last 202 years! Just a great coin with a whole lot of character. The franklin half dollar proof has something to say also but that 1805, Wow! headbang.gif

AAJ

From what Bobby originally wrote He bought the Franklin because of the toning. Dipping will cause it to be lost.

exactly, this thing has a very nice green tone on the Rev. that I don't want to lose. If I dipped, all it would be then is a shiny franklin with I'll bet , the same milk spots.

Are you sure it's toning and not PVC?

I'm 99% sure. When you look directly on it chad you can't see it. But when you angle it a certain way it gives off a very flourescent green, almost in a circle of the whole coin accept about 1/8' around the rim. I'll see if I can pic it out.

I don't know now. I thought that PVC you could see a film over it. This looks like toning when you look at it but this pic seems to bring out something different. What ya think and if it's PVC, do you recommend dipping it? thanks! I've never had anything with PVC damage so this is new to me. I would ponder to say by the flow of this that it is PVC! foreheadslap.gif

franklingreen.jpg