• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The look I like, but rarely find

18 posts in this topic

I started a Dansco 7070 set about a year ago and decided I wanted the coins to look like original coins. To date I have a total of six and this is the latest. Turns out I believe it would be easier to complete the set in MS65.

67108933.jpg

67108934.jpg

That is a truly exceptional looking coin. What a fantastic "look" to look for. I am finding myself more and more attracted to this look as well.

Rey

Fantastic eye appeal and great taste in coins. Yes, these are difficult to find but well worth it when you can secure coins like this superb example. cloud9.gif

The coin is gorgeous, and a rare find because of the look. And yes, it would be MUCH easier to develop a set in MS65. But that coin you have there is so totally more rewarding and thus, in my mind, has much greater value than a much higher grade coin.

just my opinion.

It may take you another year to find the next 6 coins. But, as you go along, you will continue to reinforce in your mind the "Why" of what you are doing. In the end, the hunt for such coins will be the enjoyment that the hobby can bring to those who are patient.

Agree with Mike King in saying that it would be easier to get them in MS65 grades. Coins in the mid grades that are unmessed with----are indeed treasures to be cherished when you find them. Best wishes in your efforts. Bob [supertooth]

That is a very attractive coin. 893applaud-thumb.gif I believe that each addition like the above will only make you more and more proud of your set.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to handle the late date issues?

Will you go for mid grades on those too, or use MS coins?

I have thought of doing a "matched" 7070 similiar to that, but am finding that I may not live long enough.... 893whatthe.gif

MM cool.gif

I started a Dansco 7070 set about a year ago and decided I wanted the coins to look like original coins. To date I have a total of six and this is the latest. Turns out I believe it would be easier to complete the set in MS65.

67108933.jpg

67108934.jpg

She’s definitely a looker….Congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to handle the late date issues?

Will you go for mid grades on those too, or use MS coins?

I have thought of doing a "matched" 7070 similiar to that, but am finding that I may not live long enough.... 893whatthe.gif

MM cool.gif

Good question. My preference would be to not have any dates after the 1940's and even considered removing some of the pages, but then it wouldn't be a complete set. There is also the problem of commemoratives. I can't recall seeing one that has been in circulation. So maybe I'll have to do the best I can and end up with part circulated and part uncirculated.

I wish Dansco would rearrange the 7070 (of course, it would be another # ) by dates instead of type, then you could just add pages until you got to the dates you wanted.

Ie.... maybe a page with 1750-1800, then 1800-1850 and so on.....It would still be a type set, with all types, it would just be arranged by date first, then type.

They could also use the opportunity to add some left out coins (such as the $3 gold)

MM smirk.gif

Added: This would also make it easier to have all the coins on a page with the same grade and "look"