• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarnished Silver US Proof Sets

6 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2001 Silver US Proof Set in the original government packaging from Golden Eagle Coins. I noticed that the obverse side of 2 of the statehood quarters are tarnished with a brown tinge. I know that silver does tarnish, but is it normal for the coins in a sealed Silver US Proof Set in the OGP to be tarnished? I am wondering if I should send this set back and get a different one. Thanks for your help.

JDK

Welcome JDK. Some of these proofs sets are famous for hazing showing up. BTW, This is just my experience, but I bought a couple things from Golden eagle Coin and was not impressed at all with the condition of the coins I got from them. I get better quality from ebay than I did them. JMO

Souds Like Golden Eagle Coins are shipping out rejects ... Not a Vendor I would deal with ...

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone Mike. Thier prices are reasonable, but thier coins are not the best.

Modern silver proof coins are an easy fix usually. You can open the plastic carefully with a sharp fingernail or knife. I use CLOUDY ammonia and dip the coins quickly with rubber gripped tongs on the edges then rinse with water and dry carefully. Use the ammonia with a lot of ventilation and make sure you dont breath it directly. That takes care of any haze. The brown toning I would use ez-est coin dip or any other commercially available coin dip. Dip quickly then rinse with running water (15-20 seconds). Just my method and no warranty is expressed or implied but works well for us. The ammonia is much better than any other chemical for haze removal in our experence. I always use ammonia before dipping proofs as sometimes dip will tend to "burn" the haze in if it is heavy enough. Never use commercial coin dip on copper or copper-nickel clad coins. Ammonia or a product called MS-70 works (although MS-70 has some ammonia ?with a brightener and needs to be worked carefully with a q-tip which I dont care for) works well on copper nickel coins but will sometimes create purpleish colors on copper if it has some old pvc on it.