• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr Braddick,,,This coin is a MONSTER...

156 posts in this topic

Am I the only one that finds this coin hideous? No offense to the owner (to each his own), but what am I missing here?
You are not the only one but you may not be in a super majority either wink.gif

As for what you're missing, like much of collecting, either you get it or you don't. And some people don't get coin collecting at all 893whatthe.gif

The most interesting things in that thread ATS for me were:

• A cert number starting with 7 means a bulk submission coin
  • Photo of very colorful modern Olympic dollar commem commented on by Greg here
  • PCGS will sometimes slab BB coins with BB inserts like the C*NT large cent
  • I posted my first Kool-Aid Man graphic in that thread wink.gif

Nothing else really stands out in my mind. Lots of kool-aid flowing over there.

how to tell the difference between and NT blue proof IHC and an "ATd" or "MS70d" blue proof IHC.

All of the attractive ones are MS70ed.

how to tell the difference between and NT blue proof IHC and an "ATd" or "MS70d" blue proof IHC.

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

If you look real closely, that sticker on the slab appears to have a picture of a bottle of MS70 on it.

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

If you look real closely, that sticker on the slab appears to have a picture of a bottle of MS70 on it.

27_laughing.gif That’s the Eagle Eye Approval Seal.

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

Same thing.

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

Same thing.

27_laughing.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

Same thing.

I’m certainly not knowledgeable enough to argue with you in this arena and I’ll leave the coin at that. Your comments were funny though tongue.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

1882IHC.JPG

I'd say that one has had a wee swab of the MS70. thumbsup2.gif

Gotta get that nasty laquer off. 27_laughing.gif

I sold the IHC to Winston that he has posted here. Did I think it was manipulated? No. Did I think it looked like MS70 was used on it? No. Might I be correct? Yes. Might I be incorrect? Of course. Might it be likely that I have a better idea of what it looks like in-hand than others? Yes.

By the way, it was purchased from Rick in March, 2003 at the PF64BN level and was sold as such.

I sold the IHC to Winston that he has posted here. Did I think it was manipulated? No. Did I think it looked like MS70 was used on it? No. Might I be correct? Yes. Might I be incorrect? Of course. Might it be likely that I have a better idea of what it looks like in-hand than others? Yes.

By the way, it was purchased from Rick in March, 2003 at the PF64BN level and was sold as such.

It’s one of my favorite coins. Thanks again Tom thumbsup2.gif

One thing that is usually a dead giveaway about a coin being MS70ed is that there are certain areas of the coin where the color has a "pooling look" to it. On Indians, it is very common to see this on the ear, area between ear and hair on both sides, eye, denticles, and crevices of the wreath. These aren't the only areas and not all will have it, but it is very common.

Based on the picture, it's hard to tell how much skin is on the coin. Is little to none, then clearly MS70ed. If a lot, them it might be natural or it might be an old cleaning that caused the color and it has skinned over since then.

However, based on the vibrant looking color in the denticles, I strongly suspect that the coin has been worked. Still a nice looking coin! Honestly, most "natural" blue Indians don't look that great. They're a little dull.

One thing that is usually a dead giveaway about a coin being MS70ed is that there are certain areas of the coin where the color has a "pooling look" to it. On Indians, it is very common to see this on the ear, area between ear and hair on both sides, eye, denticles, and crevices of the wreath. These aren't the only areas and not all will have it, but it is very common.

Based on the picture, it's hard to tell how much skin is on the coin. Is little to none, then clearly MS70ed. If a lot, them it might be natural or it might be an old cleaning that caused the color and it has skinned over since then.

However, based on the vibrant looking color in the denticles, I strongly suspect that the coin has been worked. Still a nice looking coin! Honestly, most "natural" blue Indians don't look that great. They're a little dull.

Greg, I have a few questions for you (and am asking them for the sake of education): Please explain what you meant when you said
Based on the picture, it's hard to tell how much skin is on the coin. Is little to none, then clearly MS70ed
? By that, I mean, why would a lack of "skin" indicate that MS70 had been applied? Also, is that consistent with
Honestly, most "natural" blue Indians don't look that great. They're a little dull
? Lastly, while it appears that certain areas (approximately the lower half) of the denticles on each side are brighter than others, is it possible that is the product of lighting and not MS70? Thanks.

Based on the picture, it's hard to tell how much skin is on the coin. Is little to none, then clearly MS70ed
? By that, I mean, why would a lack of "skin" indicate that MS70 had been applied?

MS70 is a coin cleaner. It, like most coin cleaners, strips all the stuff off the surface. Not just blue Indians, but any old coin without a reasonable amount of skin is highly likely been cleaned.

Also, is that consistent with
Honestly, most "natural" blue Indians don't look that great. They're a little dull
?

Yes. Many of the blue coppers that I see that I believe are "naturally" toned have thick original skin muting the mirrors and the color. While it is possible to remove this skin and leave the color, it is not practical for most coins.

Lastly, while it appears that certain areas (approximately the lower half) of the denticles on each side are brighter than others, is it possible that is the product of lighting and not MS70? Thanks.

Sure. Without seeing the coin in hand it is impossible to tell. If the coin looks in person like I suspect it does, I'd say MS70ed without a doubt. However, we all know pictures lie to us.

Did he have a whole case full of purple and blue indians at that time? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It’s one of my favorite coins. Thanks again Tom thumbsup2.gif

Without a doubt it is a beautiful coin...

MS70 or Not.

Fort the record: This coin is one of my favorite coins. I trust Tom’s in hand opinion. I considerably value Greg and others thoughts. This is a wonderful forum that so much information is made available to us…It’s invaluable.

Fort the record: This coin is one of my favorite coins. I trust Tom’s in hand opinion. I considerably value Greg and others thoughts. This is a wonderful forum that so much information is made available to us…It’s invaluable.

Tom B is a rare bird in today's hobby. You can certainly trust and rely on his opinion. You have a nice Proof Indian. Congrats !