• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what condition is this coin?

12 posts in this topic

i recently picked up this coin for a few dollars. sone things r better than others. what would it grade g-f?

1877obv.jpg

1877rev.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

thank you ! i have been scared to buy any raw over 10$ since i get alot o body bags. but now i grab for the hystory. i love all the diff types of coinage . i was thinking good.

might i ask why u say vg-f? what r u looking at when left grading this coin? im new to self grading i usualy have a slab to compair to but i dont own anything but what i have sets of ( morgans+ )

This being a scan, I would say the coin is at least F-12, and maybe just shy VF - in spite of a weak LIBERTY!

I agree James, its a shame about the two scratches on the obverse. I believe less wear occurred than it appears at first glance. Almost any coin over 100 years old can just about be categorized as cleaned/dipped/wiped. An 'original' coin is becoming extinct and that is a shame.

Great buy ant 'for a few dollars'

thank you ! i have been scared to buy any raw over 10$ since i get alot o body bags. but now i grab for the hystory. i love all the diff types of coinage . i was thinking good.

might i ask why u say vg-f? what r u looking at when left grading this coin? im new to self grading i usualy have a slab to compair to but i dont own anything but what i have sets of ( morgans+ )

My judgement was based on the scratch on the obv besides a couple small gouges also. there is a couple small nics on the rim, but that's not major at all. It looks to have been dipped at one time and then your looking at good to fine details. I really have to use my Photograde and ANA grading standards books when I grade anyway. I'm by far a master of grading but these books do give some very helpful info.

I'd say VG8 but harshly cleaned...not bad at all for "a few dollars"...L

What tips you off to the cleaning and its harshness? What are the clues?

Sorry, but some of you guys really need to buy a copy of the ANA grading guide and start comparing the photos and the descriptions with the coins “in hand." I don’t want to be mean, but you can’t depend upon slab grades if you are going to be a real collector. Even if this coin had not been cleaned and possibly damaged, there is no way that it could come close to Fine.

The sharpness grade on this piece is barely VG. You do have enough letters in the word “LIBERTY” to qualify (thee letters and that mean two letters + parts of two other letters), the rest of the coin is really pretty flat. The net grade after all the minuses for cleaning and possible damage (it may have been used under a table leg to steady it at on time, which might account for the unusual flatness in the left obverse field) is only Good.