• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can some of you kind folks please post images of a 1936 Proof Buffalo?

6 posts in this topic

I was shown a 1936 Buffalo nickel last night, purported to be a Proof coin. Honestly, it looked like just a normal business strike that had been polished, but my coin expertise 27_laughing.gif definitely does not extend to proof Buffalo nickel coinage makepoint.gif.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance 893applaud-thumb.gif.

Here's a satin proof. The strike is stronger, with square rims. The date is fully struck up with square edges. I don't have a brilliant proof to show you, and it sounds like that's what you saw....

original.jpg

original.jpg

Hi James,

Here is a 1936 Billiant Proof Buffalo nickel. I believe that this piece was in a PCGS PR-67 holder when I owned it. The price got high and and I got greedy. I replaced it with a 1937 Proof in the same grade.

Aside from the pieces that have "wonder coin" toning, I don't think it gets any better than this for the issue. The red spots were a reflection from a indicator light that is on the front of my camera. I've covered it, but this piece had such mirrors that it reflected everything.

1936Pr5cO.jpg1936Pr5cR.jpg

The thing about the brilliant Proof Buffalo nickels is that they are very, very bright. You have got to look though the shine and note the really sharp detail that the Proofs show. I don't think that any polished up Mint State piece can match that sharpness.