• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesn’t everybody do it?

12 posts in this topic

I was reading the post about the multiholder birthday gift and…

I love the set and the sentiment behind it but... doesn’t putting personal names somehow lesson the holder? Or cheapen it in some way?

Here is a hypothetical to illustrate, what if I owned Dcoin Collectables, and every coin I send in had my company name on the TPG label. It would be like a traveling billboard with my company name in neon lights. Better yet, it could include your phone number too.

Point is, once you open up to placing personalized sentiments on an objective item, marketing is soon to follow.

Thoughts?

I would presume that this was not a re-marketable item. I'm sure that if the set was ever handed down for some reason, that it could be re-holdered.

I disagree. NGC won't put anybody's name on the holder, and they personally approve every label that people want to put on MultiHolders. They wouldn't allow someone to put their address, phone number, website, etc. on the label.

PCGS had a form of this back in the early 1990s when they offered the oversized Regency holder option. If you chose this option you could add lines of text of your choice.

i beleive you could do a label like "dads birth yr set" that way some1 could get it for there dad. i hope so cause im planning on asking them to do it for me :P

As far as putting personal names on multi-holders :

My feelings (and the reason I did it) was that it was a personal gift from me to my father. It's somewhat harder for older years, but anybody can go to e-bay or wherever and buy a mint/proof set for somebody. Assembling a personalized, matched set is something different. I spent 2 months looking for the coins to complete this set (nickel FTW), and to me that was time well spent IMHO. I can see the other side of the argument also, but really doubt NGC would allow that kind of labeling on their slabs. So, in this case, cheapens it? Not a chance!

Good for you SatTech!!!! I did the same for my father's birth year--1921!!! whew and that was when things were a bit tougher. Unfortunately they did not offer the holders then. I would have been proud to have been able to put my father's name on the collection. That was 20 years ago and this set means alot to me as it did to him when he was alive.

PCGS had a form of this back in the early 1990s when they offered the oversized Regency holder option. If you chose this option you could add lines of text of your choice.

I'm surprised that more people didn't take advantage of this opportunity. What a way to market a collection!

Some side notes,

1) I didn't mean to put down anybody's collection, in reality it is kinda cool.

2) My comments are not just based on the multiholder but also single slabs. I always thought the subtitles were limited to "Jack Lee" or "Battle Creek". My only point is that I could see it being used as ad space.

PCGS stopped offering the Regency holder because they had been charging approximately $35 to certify one coin, with comment, via Economy tier when at the time this tier would otherwise cost $10 or so. Therefore, very few folks were interested.

I personally love the idea and will probably do it for my father for his 75th birthday. I hope NGC will continue this service. Even after my father passes, I will ensure that the set stays in the family.

Although the holder is personalized, it does not lower the grade of the coins. An MS-65 coin is an MS-65 coin whether in a regular slab or a multi-coin slab!

Scott hi.gif