• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858 SL Flying Eagle one cent and my 500th post !

16 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif got out bid on eBay for this 1958 i liked the extra metal around the rim on the reverce but i could not find any refrence to this and the winning bid of £41.23 seemed a little high

Please say i have not missed a bargin or i shall cry frown.gif

1763036-a6e8_1.jpg1763036-a8f6_1.jpg

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1763036-a8f6_1.jpg.aff6a931f670179e306dfe0b2f108570.jpg

$80 no way... Glad you missed it.

Pheww thanks for that

BUT i do have to admit i did get this listed as a 1805 but i think it is a 1803 !!!

sorry.gif

1763098-47c6_1.jpg1763098-487d_1.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

1763098-487d_1.jpg.0ffba351887565ab0034fb04bf348164.jpg

Gee...I want to shop where you guys shop. Definitely not a choice AU, but I've not seen a technically graded XF40 for less than $80 in quite some time...L

I may be an AU coin based on wear, but it's got rim issues, and maybe even a little pitting?

I certainly wouldn't pay $80 for it.

...that's why I netted it down to 40...and you're absolutely right about the rim issues...they won't go away after you purchase it!!

L

The coin is XF45 to AU50 detail wise, but is very scuffy and looks like it may have some corrosion issues around States and Of. If you're looking for a decent FE, don't settles as both the 57 and 58 had large mintages and there are plenty of nice examples out there.

JJ

Congrats on reaching 500 Dooly!

After looking at 5 EF45 coins on Heritage's past auction, this coin would have definitely made EF45 from the ones I looked at(the obverse maybe AU). Unless to be found cleaned this coin would have sold for between 50 and 60 pounds every time and as much as 70 pounds NGC. Raw it was probably about right at 40 pounds until you consider the rim. This would ruin it for me and I think most collectors as it takes away considerably from the coin. Good decision.

Congrats on your 500th Dooly. That rim damage on the FEC looked pretty bad, so I agree with others, not a bad miss for that money!

Well I guess today must be opposite day for me smile.gif, because I've already posted a couple of contrarian opinions this morning. I actually like this coin very much as EF+. The strike is pretty darned decent, and I love the gigantic rim cuds on the reverse. Those are character with a capital "K"! It does appear as if excessive lighting made for a harsh looking image, though.

I see the cuds...but there appears to be nibbles on this one as well, or am I mistaken??? I'm looking at 9 o'clock on the obverse; 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock on the reverse and all along the left hand margin of the reverse. I was thinking AU50 details, but I netted it down 10 points for the rims. According to FMV, this would be a $150 coin in XF.

My decision-making process on purchases involves looking at the detractions and asking myself if I could live with them...more and more often I'm finding myself passing on coins with detractions. I look at coins and am immediately drawn to the rim bruise...or the past cleaning...or the scratch. It's sort of like someone putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa...how can you get past it??!! Perhaps it's just the perfectionist in me... L