• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guilty pleasure, or, have I been left out in the sun too long?

21 posts in this topic

I bought a PR69DCAM Susan B. Anthony for my typeset last week. It's been awhile since I've looked at one, and this one was really clean, with just a hint of gold toning on the obverse. I'm trying to see if I've got a fever or something, but believe it or not, the coin actually looks attractive to me in this state. I've always liked the reverse, but in this condition the obverse looked kind of nice. Should I go to a doctor or what?

SBA79S_P69DCamOb.jpg

SBA79S_P69DCamRev.jpg

Sy,

Not at all, I can understand why it "caught your eye". Very distinct and eye-catching I think.

But just to make sure you don't have a fever I think we should have a look at the MS 64 Barber Dime you found as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rey

Well, having one for your type set isn't going over the top. It's a completely different story if you decided to collect the entire series and add monster rainbow toners wink.gif

Out of curiosity I checked to see if there was any significance to the rim having 11 sides but it seems like there is no significance.

I bought a PR69DCAM Susan B. Anthony for my typeset last week. It's been awhile since I've looked at one, and this one was really clean, with just a hint of gold toning on the obverse. I'm trying to see if I've got a fever or something, but believe it or not, the coin actually looks attractive to me in this state. I've always liked the reverse, but in this condition the obverse looked kind of nice. Should I go to a doctor or what?

It must be like being in a bar at closing time.......they all start to look good. gossip.gif

Seriously, very nice looking SBA. thumbsup2.gif

Sy is that the clear S variety? nice SBA thumbsup2.gif

Type 1. It's the cheaper variety grin.gif

EDITED TO ADD: I need to get the Barber imaged, so it will take awhile.

Should I go to a doctor or what?

I can see it now...

"Doctor, I've got the hots for an ugly dead lady"

"WHAT???"

Wellllll, this is the Bay Area, so the doctor has probably heard it all, already. 893whatthe.gif

Doctors in the Bay Area have to deal with some very interesting situations.

I once read an article by a counselor who said that a couple came in with relationship issues. The guy engineer was telling his wife not to worry, they're working on the "beta release" of their relationship so it was bound to have bugs.

The other issue was during the Internet bubble, baseball players were upset because they felt "poor."

Shoot - not a guilty pleasure. I ended up with a complete set of SBA $1s (minus the two type 2 coins) when I got back into collecting. I like the series (there's something about underdogs) and while I don't think it's the most attractive series, I still don't see why people think it's the ugliest. I think there's just this notion that you have to pick on Susie to be "cool".

1979-S Anthony Dollar (Type 1)

PCGS PR-69 DCAM

1762164-100-0040-1.jpg

1762164-100-0040-1.jpg.d08277ca814db3806e870d4045416f33.jpg

Nice one Pendragon. thumbsup2.gif

Actually , I think the design would be fairly ghastly on a standard size silver dollar, but it works well on this reduced size coin.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if there was any significance to the rim having 11 sides but it seems like there is no significance.

I recall reading somewhere that there was a special significance for the 11 sides, but I can't remember the reason or where I read it.

Chris

I recall reading somewhere that there was a special significance for the 11 sides, but I can't remember the reason or where I read it.
I read that the 11 sides had no significance on the Small Dollars website but now I'm not so sure. I checked the Wikipedia SBA page and it mentions that the coin was originally going to be an 11-sided hendecagon instead of a circle but vending machine companies complained. If that's the case there must be some significance.

It seems like SBA's interest in women's rights may have been first expressed when she was 11 years old when she asked her father, a cotton mill owner, about women's roles in the workplace. Apparently she was already working at 11 years old. She also lived with 11 boarding children but that seems less significant.

The reverse commemorates the landing on the moon which was performed by the Apollo 11 mission so the number 11 could be related to Apollo 11.

Interestingly, it seems that a circulated coin set would be comprised of 11 coins.

I think you are perfectly OK so long as you buy this stuff at cheap prices. I've been buying some modern Proof type coins for my registry set. All of them have been PR-69 D Camam, and they are actually very pretty coins. It's neat to get a real "black and white" frosted Proof cameo. You see pictures of this stuff in the "classic coins," but the prices are through the roof.

As to what to pay, my range has been $15 to $25 per coin for either PCGS or NGC pieces. That does not really cover the cost of the plastic, but since I'm buyinf the "rejects" that did not make into PR-70 holders, they are modestly priced.

You might need to be hard bargainer. I spotted a group of Bicentennial coins (6 Proof coins, clad and 40% silver) all in PR-69 DCam at the local show. The initial asking price was $250. A day later I got the dealer down to $140. I'm not usually like that, but the guy really wanted to sell, and I'm willing buy such things at prices that I find comfortable.

Still I don't think I'll be making any money these coins. They are just for fun.

Bill, my price was essentially within what you quoted, $15-25... with one proviso. This was my second purchase on Teletrade, so I expected a 12% winning bid surcharge on the coin. Well, lo and behold, in the fine print, Teletrade has an $8 minimum fee for winning bid, so that pushed my price out of your range... Learn something new every day. I agree with you though, for a slabbed PR/MS69 coin the prices are such chump change that I'm happy to pay the extra buck or three over what a raw coin would cost.