• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do

11 posts in this topic

I could use some serious opinions on this coin I recently acquired, fresh out of a proof set. The obverse has a beautiful mirrored finish, some small spots, very faint. The reverse is the problem. It has what appears to be a white film on it, almost looks like white power, being fairly new to this hobby I don’t want to clean it myself. Now my question is, if it were your coin would you submit it to NCS and than have it graded, or would you leave it alone, is it worth the trouble, or what ever. I never had to submit any coins for conservation, not sure even how that works. Sorry I’m not the best photographer. I really had a hard time focusing on the back. Love to hear what everyone would do!!! You just may help me make up my mind. Thanks in advance. confused.gif

1761300-t3.jpg.b586174e5d32f1e07d538d6307df4eb9.jpg

Not worth sending to NCS, a common proof Frankie. I might dip it, using some EZest (I think it's called), or something like that to trty to get rid of the film. Otherwise, I'd just leave it alone.

Thanks Dooly, I hate to say it but, I could not figure that out!!!!

Thanks MunkyMan95, I will definitely take that into consideration. Loved the movie Tombstone, one of my favorites. Val played a great Doc, well in my opinion!!

laugh.gif

Lem, first off welcome to the forum. Second, IMO when purchasing a coin from, say, ebay and only the obverse is shown, there is usually a problem with the reverse as it only costs $.15 or they could be put in the same pic for free. I learned the hard way and now I live by that rule.

Good luck with your coin.

Howdy and welcome. It appears that your Franklin has cellophane or pliofilm scuz on it, which happens sometimes on proof coinage that is held for long periods in the original packaging. Aside from a dip, I do not know what you might do to remove the film. In my opinion, this is not a candidate for NCS since the shipping costs alone would be more than the value of the coin.

I agree with Tom, looks like some sort of damage caused by the mint cello. Not worth sending in. I think it's a good habit for the older proof sets in cello to take them out once in a while and rotate them around the cello periodically. This should keep them from remaining in one spot too long and temperature changes causing issues with the cello and coin.

Try and dip it but I do not believe you can get that off - that one looks too far gone. These coins are damaged by the govt packaging used in these proof sets, yet there are people who go bonkers bidding on these bc they are in the "unopened" govt envelope - poor stupid slobs. Cut them outta there!

Rotate them around the cello lol? What is this this the astronomy club. Cut those coins outta the cello!

Try and dip it but I do not believe you can get that off - that one looks too far gone. These coins are damaged by the govt packaging used in these proof sets, yet there are people who go bonkers bidding on these bc they are in the "unopened" govt envelope - poor stupid slobs. Cut them outta there!

Rotate them around the cello lol? What is this this the astronomy club. Cut those coins outta the cello!

I say rotate because in most cases these coins will re-market for better value if in the OGP. I will take my pre-66' proofs and move them around in the cello about every 3 months or so. Believe me, I don't see any damage being done or starting.