• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLQs Grading Opinion Please

13 posts in this topic

Requesting opinions on these two SLQs as far as possible grades. The 1926 D Obverse has a terrible "hit" to the head or something resulting in basically no face, so I am wondering as well how much of a negative effect this will have. The 1930 S is in better condition. I am trying to determine whether or not to have them slabbed.

Thanks,

Rey

1926DObv.jpg

1926DRev.jpg

1930SObv.jpg

1930SRev.jpg

I think that the 26-D was made that way - I've seen that characteristic on Liberty's (partly missing) face/head before - and would grade it AU58+, possibly MS63 or MS64. I grade the 30-S AU58+, as well, but see enough on the reverse to make me suspect that it might not grade as high as the 26-D. The images just don't allow for precise grade opinions on these two coins - sorry.

Thanks to one and all for the replies on these. I was not aware that the 26 D could have that characteristic. The 30 S is not as "sharp" on the reverse as the 26 D too.

Much appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Rey

very nice coins. I would say both are in the possible slider range of AU58+. The photos are tough but I think I see some rub on tops of the legs on both coins.

I would grade these coins MS-62 and MS-63 respectively (can't tell if the '30-S has a full-head). That dish-head on the 1926-D has, in my experience, a significant negative impact on value. It won't keep it out of a holder, but personally, I'd question the financial advantages of having these coins certified. It's a common look for an issue that is very tough to find decently struck. I've been looking for a strongly struck example literally for years.

There are coins for which, again in my opinion, being slabbed is a negative, and not a positive factor. If a coin is on the lower-end of a grade range, the slab can turn off potential buyers who simply do not want to (and won't) pay an unnecessary certification surcharge. In other words, "there's a reason this coin's in a slab". These coins appear from the images to be such coins.

Thank you James, I appreciate you explaining the reasoning supporting the option of leaving them as is. Sounds logical and makes sense. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks

Rey