• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have heard of No Talons but No Legs :) - SBA -

16 posts in this topic

This looks like a little more than a BAd strike - I would say a strike through too - whattya think.

1760939-notalon.jpg

1760939-notalon.jpg.eddd64b6b3b51a21ee81c873ecfa6ec5.jpg

They look like drumsticks!

Good Analogy Chad

... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...

(analogy) Thats when a thing are compared to other things

Just raggin on you Chad ...

This looks like a little more than a BAd strike - I would say a strike through too - whattya think.

1760939-notalon.jpg

It appears to be raised. I think it is a massive die break. Note the weakness in Susie B's hair on the obverse.

Chris

It appears to be raised. I think it is a massive die break. Note the weakness in Susie B's hair on the obverse.

Chris

I don't think so Chris .. I bought a ROll in cellophane to try and find GOOD 80s's to send to get certified. The whole roll has weakness in the hair with some having great Talon Strikes. There are very FEW high graded 80-s in top tier holders hence my attempt at getting a few good ones. I started my MS version of an SBA set and it is really tough to find GOOD full talon Full strike coins.

The hunt continues ..

Actually, Mike, that was more of a similie!

My Thread so its MY definitions smile.gif

Mikes Defintion of ANAOLGY

"An analogy is a comparison in which different items are compared - analogies are helpful in pointing out relationships that may not at first be visible"

Mike's Definition of Similie -

"A simile is a comparison between two different things, designed to create an unusual, interesting, emotional or other effect often using words such as 'like' or 'as ... as'. Common comparisons are with the qualities associated with animals (sly as a fox, as brave as a lion).

These would be how I interprete the two ... USING many Word Defining Glossarial

Print Matter

Thoughts -

It is sometimes theorized that the weak talons are due to a combination of poor striking and clogged dies. While this is a little more extreme than usual, it is not unexpected. Indeed, those feet closely resemble those I have seen before (lending credence to the clogged dies theory.) As for the hair on the obverse, that is nothing unusual - that is a typical strike.

Good luck on the searching, the 80s usually comes kind of ugly, with little to no talons.

It is sometimes theorized that the weak talons are due to a combination of poor striking and clogged dies. While this is a little more extreme than usual, it is not unexpected. Indeed, those feet closely resemble those I have seen before (lending credence to the clogged dies theory.) As for the hair on the obverse, that is nothing unusual - that is a typical strike.

Good luck on the searching, the 80s usually comes kind of ugly, with little to no talons.

I did find some with talons and somewhat good hair line .. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Chris

I don't think so Chris .. I bought a ROll in cellophane to try and find GOOD 80s's to send to get certified. The whole roll has weakness in the hair with some having great Talon Strikes. There are very FEW high graded 80-s in top tier holders hence my attempt at getting a few good ones. I started my MS version of an SBA set and it is really tough to find GOOD full talon Full strike coins.

The hunt continues ..

I still think it's a die break. It appears to be raised higher than the normal design. If it were a clogged die, it would be closer to being flush with the surfaces adjacent and below.

Chris

Actually, Mike, that was more of a simile!

Simile is when two different things are compred, using the words "like" or "as"

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

Spelling of "simile" corrected. wink.gif

Chris

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

Chris

But "compared" was not corrected..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

flamed.gif

MM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

Chris

But "compared" was not corrected..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

flamed.gif

MM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, missed that one! I must have been sitting on my glasses with my head in them.

Chris

I looked at my 1980 souvenir set last nite Mike, and I have talons but not defined. Basically just the grooves to define where the talons are at. I have one that doesn't have grooves at all but nothing to the extreme that yours look like.