• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This 85' dime puzzles me. Post Mint Damage?? 800pix

15 posts in this topic

I've held on to this dime for who knows what reason. It puzzles me tho' because it looks a little wierd. The obv has the rim worn to part of the date and it looks like maybe the T & Y of liberty is too close to the other side of the rim. The rev. has half of the M & E of dime worn at the top. Do you think this is post mint or possibly a weak stike? The light outline of the coin is not the rim, I cropped it out a little so that the whole rim could be seen. confused-smiley-013.gif

dimeobv.jpg

dimerev.jpg

It is difficult to tell from the image. Is the luster consistent across the coin? What about the area where there is wearing... are there scratches? It is almost reminiscent of a filled die--or a partially filled die.

It may be an image artifact, but the LI in LIBERTY also seems "different." That type of wearing where it appears to be worn toward the top of the letters without the nearby rim showing similar wear also appears to be a filled die.

What about on the reverse... look at the "TED STA" in the upper left. Is that an image artifact or is there something going on there?

Regardless, it's very interesting!!

Scott hi.gif

It is difficult to tell from the image. Is the luster consistent across the coin? What about the area where there is wearing... are there scratches? It is almost reminiscent of a filled die--or a partially filled die.

It may be an image artifact, but the LI in LIBERTY also seems "different." That type of wearing where it appears to be worn toward the top of the letters without the nearby rim showing similar wear also appears to be a filled die.

What about on the reverse... look at the "TED STA" in the upper left. Is that an image artifact or is there something going on there?

Regardless, it's very interesting!!

Scott hi.gif

#1 - Yes, luster is consistent across coin.

#2 - It does look like there may be scratches where it is worn. But doesn't look like maybe anymore than any other place on the coin.

#3 - The TED and STA are worn down also. I'll try to get some close-up pics.

Don't know if these help any but got best I could with a circulated dime.

date.jpg

date2.jpg

dime.jpg

dimetop.jpg

You can't see the flattened tops of the "L" & "I" as well in this pic as the one above!

dimeobv-1.jpg

dimerev-1.jpg

That's pretty wild Bobby. Great post and great pics. It does look like a combination of a weak strike and filled dies but then what flattened and widened the letters which makes it look like post mint. Very odd. It may be a combination of two or even three things. Would have really been great to have seen it Uncirculated. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this looked strange. Yea Jim, would've been nice if this was uncir., but just got it in pocket change some time ago. Have it in my folder tho'. I had found a better conditioned one but decided not to replace it and left this one in it's place.

If I recall correctly, the 1985 dimes were plaqued by weak strikes and really bad dies, so weak, flat rims, wide rims and overall mushiness were pretty common on these. They redid the dies in 1986 which dramatically improved the strikes and overall appearance of these coins. It seems to me like you have an extreme example of the 1985 dime in all it's glory, but what is truly rare is a nice fully struck 1985 dime!

Man, it's hard to find photos of these coins, but here is one I found on eBay, and this was a mint set coin and you can see the weakness in the rim area:

1985_D_DIME_001.jpg

and here are the 1986 mint set dimes also from eBay:

bb66_1.JPG

It's hard to see with these photos, but I think you can make out the difference especially at the rim areas.

Bobby and others,

Real nice find Bobby and very interesting. I was not aware of that happening, glad you were able to have it explained and it's always good to learn something new, thanks.

Rey