• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Grading

17 posts in this topic

Would anyone care to view my experimental results indicating I may be the worst coin grader around?

Jeff

Yes, but I hope it is not too painful. foreheadslap.gif

Ok - here goes. A couple of weeks ago I sent in (150) 2007 Silver Eagle proofs. I actually have 400 of them but decided to take a stab at prescreening them myself. The theory was that if I could grade them with any accuracy at all, I could save a bundle on grading fees and up my profit margin at my store. So, I looked over all 400 coins for obvious defects and then looked over the remaining ones again and again until I narrowed the batch down to the top 150 coins!!! I was pretty excited as I thought I had ID'd things on some coins that would certainly be caught by NGC - I was left with 150 coins that were spectacular so I sent them all in and checked the NGC census to see what the percent PF70 return rate was. At that time it was 51.9%. I was all like "all i need to do to beat that percent is to get 77.85 PF70s - any novice should get that after spending all the time that I just did reviewing the coins". Fast forward to grade day - I recieved 51% PF70s. (76 out of 150). I suck! Am I really that bad I asked myself, and I said, "you must be".

Jeff

P.S. Stay tuned for the so called "crappy" batch that I sent in. Yes, since this is an experiment, I did send in the coins I thought were bad - that will be interesting.

I am far from a expert. But in my eyes I have yet to see any US minted coin I would grade a 70.

This includes coins I have in slabs and raw. Now the ones I have sent in I thought would be strong 69's some of those hit a 70.

You do realize that they don't actually grade those things, don't you? They just randomly assign 69s and 70s unless they accidently notice a flaw, then it gets a 68. poke2.gif

Yeah! That means I can grade just as well as they can because my results were not significantly different from theirs. I feel much better now. Wait......no I dont! All I know is that I obviously wouldn't know a PF70 if it bag marked me in the face!

Jeff

I would like to see someone like Coin World, submit the same ASE that had received a grade of 70 over and over and see what the grades would be. I know it would be interesting and probably amusing.

I would like to see someone like Coin World, submit the same ASE that had received a grade of 70 over and over and see what the grades would be. I know it would be interesting and probably amusing.

You should mention that too them. They would probably do it, they like to do surveys of the TPGs every couple of years.

Ok - I got the batch that I thought included a disproportionately large amount of 69s. This is of course relative to the batch detailed in my original posts (remember my "good" batch came back at nearly an even split 74 PF69s and 76 PF70s). My second batch of 149 coins came back with the following split: 91 and 58. In addition, I had a control batch (which included 100 silver eagles that I simply did not look at. The split on those was 60 and 40. Knowing that I stink at grading, guess which were the PF70s!!! LMAO - I will never pretend to prescreen coins for submission again!

Jeff

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif