• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1854 Half Cent for your grading pleasure...

28 posts in this topic

Hone your grading skills! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Please grade my new half cent, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif just for run…

1854-half-cent-o.jpg

1854-half-cent-r.jpg

It just showed up in the mail today,(bought Monday evening), it’s a keeper that will go great in my type set. cloud9.gif

I purchased this coin from an Ebay store run by a seller named typecoin, who was one of the best sellers I’ve dealt with on Ebay, great customer service and a fair price. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very pretty coin, Rexcat! thumbsup2.gif I'd give it an MS60, A in EAC terms. As for a market grade, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif MS64.

It's hard to find those looking pretty, and yours is just that. cloud9.gif

Hoot

I’m not familiar with grading copper so I’ll grade it superb eye appeal and I see some traces of red. Nice one 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll go with a commercial MS-63 BN, and an EAC grade of AU-55. I think the carbon spot between S4 and S5, and a couple more on the reverse will preclude an EAC "unc" grade. Regardless, I like the coin considerably!

Nice coin rexcat, some red showing. I'd guess MS63/64-the carbon spot might stop 64-not for sure how that would affect it. Beautiful coin nonetheless.

I don't know what EAC means so I'm going to say it's an MS63 and a real "LOOKER" . I like it a lot. Congrats.

that's Early American Copper Richard. thumbsup2.gif

I don't know what EAC means so I'm going to say it's an MS63 and a real "LOOKER" . I like it a lot. Congrats.

that's Early American Copper Richard. thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif Thanks. Seeing as how I received an 1809 Half Cent in the mail yesterday, you'd think I should know that.

I really like the look of that coin, Paul. I dabble in some darkside copper from the same era, and I love the brown coins where some mint red clings to the fields around letters and devices.

A very attractive large cent despite the spots.

I'd TPG grade it 64 BN.

I'd EAC grade it MS 60 sharpness, AVG +, AU 55 net.

Thanks for sharing...Mike

I'd "Leo" grade it an MS62+ (superior eye appeal).

EAC grading .... it's meaning less and less to me as time wears on and I learn more and more about: how these coins were produced; what the average strike was per run of serviceable dies; how these coins wear; "original surfaces" versus the reactivity of copper; and what has historically been market acceptable for early copper preservation. EAC would probably assign this a grade of AU50 due to :weakness in strike over the "LIBERTY" head band and into the upper hair; nicks to the face; nicks behind the ear; nick on the "R" in "AMERICA" and on the rim; and the aforementioned carbon spots. I think this is unduly harsh on this coin. That being said...I think the other posters nailed the TPG assessment...MS63/64.

Leo

Thanks for your replies every one! A few of you hit the nail right on the head; this half cent has been graded MS64 BN by NGC. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I dabble in some darkside copper from the same era, and I love the brown coins where some mint red clings to the fields around letters and devices.

thumbsup2.gifYes that is it! It’s that look I like so much in this coin, just a little red and some other very pretty hues. The other aspect of this coin I like a lot is the strike, just look at the detail in the stars, very complete. purrr....

The photo that I bought this from wasn’t bad, but when I opened the box yesterday I was very happy with what this coin looks like in hand, this half cent will look great in my type set. cloud9.gif

Nice pickup, KingKat! thumbsup2.gif

Yep, Hoot's a pretty sharp fella. The boards are certainly enriched with him being around. His enthusiasm for early copper is contagious! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is my 1854. It's not one of my best half cents but something about the mix of colors on yours reminded me of this one. It also has a spot in a similar location to yours on the obverse. Anyone want to give this one a grade?

1760273-1854.jpg

1760273-1854.jpg.c7dc98ce08e4402aee6cfb33edff3bbb.jpg

Also a nice coin, RGT. I'd call it an AU50 details, XF45 net by EAC, and likely a high AU by market standards.

Hoot

Thanks for the comments on my piece.

Hoot,

This one is in an ANACS MS61 holder. The light friction on the high points is consistent with others I've seen in low MS holders. It's more like cabinet friction than wear. I don't really see any rub on the cheek or fields. Maybe it's an AU61.

The only distraction for me is the darker "splotch" on the reverse. Any ideas what could have caused that?