• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The franklin mint and El cazador shipwreck 8 reale coins

5 posts in this topic

Did anyone see the special on QVC I think it was where they were selling el cazador shipwreck 8 reale coins in an NGC holder for $500+ dollars? They also had a smaller demonination reale for $256 . It comes in a wooden case from the franklin mint. What's the franklin mint? I was tempted to buy it but I knew it was most likely a rip off.

Did anyone see the special on QVC [...] I knew it was most likely a rip off.
Just assume everything, I mean everything, you see on TV is a rip off and you'll be a step ahead wink.gif

Check out the Wikipedia Franklin Mint page for info on the Franklin Mint. They used to be a prolific minter of collector medals and ingots. They also provided outsourced minting/marketing for countries to make NCLT. They exited that business when silver prices rose in the late 70s. Ownership recently changed with the intent to reenter the numismatic realm.

The El Cazador offering from this reborn Franklin Mint seems to be NGC graded shipwreck coins sold by the Franklin Mint. I would treat them just like NGC slabbed shipwreck coins and ignore the Franklin Mint part for now. Here's the Franklin Mint El Cazador shipwreck stuff on QVC.com from the press release. If you look at the individual web offering pages, it seems like the technical grade of these coins is reasonably low so you would be paying a big premium for the packaging.

Holy *spoon*, Batman!

I was perusing the QVC site to see what other ripoffs they have and found the "Roll of Presidential Dollars In Original Gov't Holder" (QVC Item # C2875) for $48.00! First, that is more than the Mint's price of $35.95 in the Mint's wrappers. Second, the roll in the picutre has the name "N.F. String and Sons" of Harrisburg, PA. Since when did we elect N.F. String and Sons as the government?

Since the ad says "Includes a Manufacturer's Certificate of Authenticity," does that mean the Mint provided them a COA?

I would say that if someone buys these coins and QVC mails them, not only have they violated laws on false advertising, but committed mail fraud.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif gives me an idea...

Scott hi.gif

I use to buy alot of stuff from the franklin mint. Never bought coins but I have a collection of David Mann easyriders display plates, 1/10 harley's, etc.. They sell alot of collectible items.